neck through bolt on

vtpcnk

is that possible?

if you can bolt a neck at the neck pocket, can't you bolt it at the body?

and would it have better sustain than a regular bolt on?

stewmac sells neck through necks. but not fully finished. they don't sell wings either.

any custom builders who would build a neck through sg for a grand or a little over?

Do you mean like the Yamaha Billy Sheehan Attitude bass?

Billy likes to bend the neck like a whammy bar, so to keep from snapping necks like toothpicks, the neck extends way down into the body, where there are additional screws under the pickguard.

>Do you mean like the Yamaha Billy Sheehan Attitude bass?

i didn't even know this existed!

i just meant a neck through similar to a long neck tenon, but much longer, which can be inserted/screwed into a body in whatever way.

I really don't understand what your trying to do with this.
If the neck bolts on in anyway, short of also being glued in, it will not be a neck through.
With a neck through, the pickups and bridge and everything are mounted on the neck and everything is happening on one piece of wood. You just have wings on the sides to create a body.
Even if the neck went way into the body, it isn't going to resonate as one piece of wood.

Warmoth is not going to be able to make you anything other than a traditional bolt on guitar. If you are looking into all this weird stuff, i think you would be better off finding a luthier to build you a neck through guitar instead.

Carvin builds neck-throughs, and for under a grand. Not SGs, though.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=dc150

if you are thinking about making a neck through, Soulmate guitars makes the necks.
http://www.soulmateguitars.com/

Brian

actually stewmac itself sells a neck through neck for like 200 bucks. though it is maple back.

any idea how resonant maple would be as a neck through with alder wings?

the charvels look nice - but i already have a  strat and soon a tele. would like a different shaped guitar.

i was thinking more about mahogany neck through with mahogany wings - sg.

i actually love the way a firebird looks - but it is too big.

neck through custom guitar on ebay for 500 bucks : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=290309359732&Category=2384&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

actually i also love the shape of the gibson double cut. i had one and let go because it didn't have a tummy cut.

hamer has some nice dcs - but haven't seen one with a tc.

Some of the PRS bolt-ons are like that.  The neck is actually longer and bolts onto the body under the neck pickup.  The neck looks funny because what's the point of it if the neck still has the feel of a heel to it.  I've seen some guy that will reshape the neck to move the heel further towrds the body.  Why doesn't PRS do that, for strength maybe?

PRSneckjoint.jpg

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Some of the PRS bolt-ons are like that.  The neck is actually longer and bolts onto the body under the neck pickup.  The neck looks funny because what's the point of it if the neck still has the feel of a heel to it.  I've seen some guy that will reshape the neck to move the heel further towrds the body.  Why doesn't PRS do that, for strength maybe?

PRSneckjoint.jpg

Jesus, that neck looks massive!
That looks like a really shitty design to me though. They could have shaped everything a bit better than that so that you can play the neck comfortably. Does anyone really want to play a guitar with a neck shaped that way?

bpmorton777 said:
we do all the time with our bolt on necks. What's the diff?

Brian

Where is your thumb supposed to go when you play in that area?

I usually have my thumb up against the end of the body where the neck and body meet.
A design like that, especially given the thickness of the neck would give me very little leverage for my thumb.

Is it just me?

bpmorton777 said:
we do all the time with our bolt on necks. What's the diff?

Brian

Right, but that's because the screws and plate are there on our normal bolt-ons.  Since the mounting point is further back on the (PRS) body, why is the heel still there?

prs guitars has the "wide fat carve" necks which look impossibly thick.

but surprisingly easy to play!

Why do you think a PRS made before 1994 sells for twice as much as a new one??? They were actually hand made, not CNC like the current stuff and they do not have the rediculous neck heel. I don't have anything against a new PRS except for the neck heel and I really don't see where a CNC made guitar is worth that kind of money. Gibson and PRS are both unbelievably expensive. The Washburn USA Idol series is at least as nice a guitar and $1500 or so cheaper. Carvin can make a mahogany set neck with a 4A figured top and sell it in the $1500-$2000 range depending on what options you want... Oh, did I say options???

Sorry for the rant...

if you truly believe that there is no hand work involved, you obviously know very little (if anything) about CNC and building guitars

the advantages of CNC = tight tolernaces, repeatability, consistency, and reduced time roughing the body and/or neck to the place where all of the skilled craftsmanship begins. unlike metal work, CNC in woodworking is not used to detail the parts - this is done by hand in the same way it would be done if everything was carved without a CNC

the craftsmanship is beheld in the hands of the craftsman. CNC only reduces the time spent on repetitive, mundane tasks that, if they were hand done, would only require the skill of a moderately experienced apprentice

all the best,

R

Check these out about PRS and Gibson.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/science-channel/5088-assembly-line-prs-guitars-video.htm
http://www.truveo.com/Some-Assembly-Required-Gibson-Guitars/id/2769524626
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/some-assembly-required-gibson-buff-paint.html

here's a high density foam proofing body being cut for a new bass model I'm working ...

this first image is the CNC rough cutting the tummy contour in the foam blank

M-Series-FoamProofingBodyonCNC.jpg

this second image is the end result of the final hem stitching passes. (did you catch the different directions that the cutter passed when rough cutting the contour and then when hem stitching the detail passes?) as you can more than clearly see, there is still a load of hand detailing still needing to be morph this blank into a finely crafted and detailed body. sure the foam gives a little (and that's why there's a sharp lip in the contour edge) but not so much that the results here are being grossly misrepresented

M-Series-TummyCutHemStitchingDetail.jpg

so to set the story about CNC into factual territory ... the MYTH that a CNC cut body carcass is somehow inferrior to a totally hand wowrked body is totally a heaped load of freshly deposited steamy compost. the only people who propagate this busted myth are those who know little (if anything) about woodworking CNC. their argument is reminiscent of what happend several decades back when woodworkers began using electric hand tools to increase their efficiency and consistency while also reducing the cost they needed to pass to a customer.

all the best,

R

Mr. Funk,

when will your pink foam basses be avalible for sale? I really like this concept and can imagin how tonefull the foam makes an instument.

Brian

Back