Neck Setup Advice Needed

deepblue

Hey lads...
I have a problem I want to run by you...

Im trying to set up my neck and body (Fender)
My strings still buzz on the fretboard even though the saddles are has high as they will go.
Would I be correct in thinking a shim?.....if so, what would I use as a shim and where would I place it?

Id rather not pay a pro to do this, so im appealing to my peers who have done this type of thing many times.
Thank you guys.

It's difficult to imagine not being able to get the bridge up high enough to eliminate buzz - usually there's far more adjustment available there than you can possibly use. So, I'm going to guess you have a neck relief problem. This can often be cured with a truss rod adjustment. You might want to read this before you start down that road, though. Once you have your relief set properly, you can bring the bridge back down to Earth and get some decent action on the thing.

Thank you Cagey...I always get nervous when I need to make a tr adjustment.
I have the Warmoth Pro neck, so at least that will make it easier.
Thanks for the advice.

deepblue said:
...I always get nervous when I need to make a tr adjustment.

A lot of people do, but it's not that big a deal. There's two things to keep in mind. One, be patient. If you need to make more than just a very minor adjustment, be sure to tune it back up to put normal stress on the neck, and let is sit for a day or so, then re-check it. Wood doesn't move instantly - it has elastic qualities that demand a settling in period. Two, it's rare that an adjustment takes more than a quarter turn. If you're going farther than that, there's something else wrong. Either the neck's approaching hopeless or you're measuring something wrong. So, baby steps. Slow ones.

Back