Neck Relief Cures

gioiagreg

I have read several posts regarding neck relief (or lack thereof) on some necks even with the truss rod slack.  I find myself in a similar spot.  The solution I heard most mentioned was putting on a heavier set of strings and/or tune up a step or so (putting extra pressure on the neck to bow) for a week.

My questions before I try it:

1) Has anyone done this with success or caused another problem?
2) Will the heavier set of strings affect the nut slots?
3) Anything else to watch out for that someone came across?

Thanks!

I had this "problem" on two of my Warmoth necks, both from the showcase.  It went away after a couple of months - I guess the string tension pulled the neck into shape.  I just assumed this would "fix" it as wood takes a long time to adjust to its new home.  I do have the truss rod adjustment thingy almost totally loose, however.  I'm not really one to worry about this type of stuff, though, but it seems like it would be better if the necks were more a little less flat out of the box.  But mine are great now - no problems!  I'm of the set it and leave it alone mentality when it comes to necks, though.  If one was always adjusting, etc., I could see why this would be more annoying.  Plus I don't like really low action and super light strings, so I could see how it would be annoying if you played 8s or something.

You dont say what "heavier" is, but if you're going from 008's to .009's you're fine.  Even .010 is fine for most slots.  When you get into .011 and .012... sometimes the slots are a little tight.

Well, I am at a 10's right now (tuned a half-step down).  So I am thinking maybe stay with the same guage so as not to compromise the nut and just tune it up to maybe a step from where I am and let that sit for a while.

I've been reading through older posts, soaking up the knowledge - I am a newbie, and have a lot to learn. I came across this post and thought I'd chime in.
I recently purchased a Tele neck from the Showcase. I mounted it and it buzzed like bees.  I loosened the truss rod all the way  and I still could not get any relief. I sent it back to Warmoth, and they said that the truss rod was jammed, and they fixed it. Sent it back to me - and it works fine now. BTW - they refunded me for the cost to ship back to them. The whole process took about three weeks (one week each way for shipping).

Back