Neck pocket question

Nauset

According to warmoth, when cutting the neck pocket utilizing a Tune-o-matic and stop tail piece, it is described that a 1 1/2 to 3 Degree neck pocket angle is required for correct intonation.  My question is this.  The angle goes in what direction?  does it slope deeper toward the neck side or does it slop deeper toward the body side?  Or does it slope from one side or the other?  Knowing that warmoth states that the neck pocket depth is 5/8"?  That means that at some point the neck pocket is going to be either slightly deeper than 5/8" or more shallow than 5/8" of and inch.  now i realize that over 3" it is not that much...but i am sure it is something tangable.  Also why exactly is the angle nessisary?  Is the neck pocket angle required with any other bridge set up? 

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jim

howdy,

The neck angle moves back so that the nut end of the neck is (slightly) closer to the back then the higher frets.

This is necessary because a Tune-O-Matic sits higher off of the body than a trem or hardtail bridge would. Even trem necks aren't perfectly square to the body, they have what is known as a 0-1 degree neck angle.

please clarify your statement that it moves back !  does that mean that the neck pocket is for aguments sake .650" deep at the body side, .625 (5/8") in the middle of the pocket, and .600 deep at the neck side of the pocket?  I am just using round numbers for discussion. With out triging out the exatct angle and depths.

Nauset said:
it slope deeper toward the neck side or does it slop deeper toward the body side? Also why exactly is the angle nessisary?  Is the neck pocket angle required with any other bridge set up? 

in your words . . . slopes deeper toward the neck side,and I'm currently looking for more info

Lets define a couple of things.  The front of the guitar is the side with the pickups, the back is the side that rests against you.  The angled neck pocket makes it so the head of the guitar is angled towards the back side of the guitar.  On a non angled neck pocket, the neck is more or less parallel to the plane of the body.  I hope that makes sense.
Patrick

Thanks to all for all the replys.  So could someone double check my math here for me.  Warmoth says they angle the neck pocket 1.5 to 2 degrees.  So using their 5/8" (.625") starting point depth at the pickup side of pocket.  My math tells me that at the neck side of the pocket needs to be .09165" deeper or .7165".  I got there by triging out the 3" neck pocket length and multiplyed that by the Tangent of the neck pocket angle of 1 degree 45min or 1 3/4 degrees(0.03055) which gave me  the .09165 added to the .625 and i got .7165"  Now i have made several guitars and i can't recollect the neck pocket being angled that much.  Perhaps I need a vacation...or possibly a cat scan....lol

Thanks again for all your replys and if i am way of base...please by all means tell me how much of a meathead dolt i am.  I can take it...for now anyway.   

Nauset said:
Thanks to all for all the replys.  So could someone double check my math here for me.  Warmoth says they angle the neck pocket 1.5 to 2 degrees.  So using their 5/8" (.625") starting point depth at the pickup side of pocket.  My math tells me that at the neck side of the pocket needs to be .09165" deeper or .7165".  I got there by triging out the 3" neck pocket length and multiplyed that by the Tangent of the neck pocket angle of 1 degree 45min or 1 3/4 degrees(0.03055) which gave me  the .09165 added to the .625 and i got .7165"  Now i have made several guitars and i can't recollect the neck pocket being angled that much.  Perhaps I need a vacation...or possibly a cat scan....lol

Thanks again for all your replys and if i am way of base...please by all means tell me how much of a meathead dolt i am.  I can take it...for now anyway.   
Your calculations are correct for a 1 3/4 deg angle, however for the tune-o-matic bridge I believe the angle is a bit steeper than that. For a non recessed Floyd it calls for a 2 deg angle, which is a .104 drop over 3". But the Tune-o-matic uses a 3 deg angle, which would be a .157 drop over 3"..

Thanks dangerous...guess i can hold of on that cat scan for now anyway.  I just never realized the amount of slope in the beck pocket of the guitars that i have made.  Thanks again to all whom replyed and i will keep you posted on my two newest builds.  Got some sweet tiger to work with on these builds.

Jim

Nauset said:
Thanks dangerous...guess i can hold of on that cat scan for now anyway.  I just never realized the amount of slope in the beck pocket of the guitars that i have made.  Thanks again to all whom replyed and i will keep you posted on my two newest builds.  Got some sweet tiger to work with on these builds.

Jim
  :laughing11:  No problem Jim, save the cat scan monies for the builds. And also even tho the numbers don't lie, the actual neck pocket cut isn't going to be that drastic as the numbers show. I measured the depths of one of my guitar bodies pocket that have been cut for the non-recessed Floyd, which as I stated Floyd Rose recommends 2 degrees, and the difference from the point closest to the neck pup pocket out to the end of the neck pocket is around .065"..Just some food for thought, I'm sure Warmoth and most other makers cut them pretty close to spec., but aren't going to be exact. Just remember NASA's not making this stuff, so I'm sure it's not rocket science... :icon_thumright:

Floyd-Rose-high-neck-angle.png

Although this bridge is a floyd, imagine it as a T.O.M. See that red shim? imagine the wood there.

Thats it.

Edit: Pictures ALWAYS help.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
Floyd-Rose-high-neck-angle.png

Although this bridge is a floyd, imagine it as a T.O.M. See that red shim? imagine the wood there.

Thats it.

Edit: Pictures ALWAYS help.
The non-recessed Floyd set-up is actually not as drastic as that pic looks..... :binkybaby:

Back