Neck plate on LPs??

Spider

Hi there - just finished my Warmoth strat, now looking to do an LP build. I know that there have been some threads on Warmoth not doing a set neck option - I'm ok with bolt-on but I confess I'm not a fan of neck plates on Gibson-style guitars. Is there a reason why most LP builds on this forum have neck plates as opposed to recessed bolts? I'm thinking that recessed bolts would look more authentic. Anyone here built an LP with recessed bolts? Or any builders out there who use neck plates on LPs want to say why they haven't used recessed bolts? Any thoughts/advice gratefully received!

Spider said:
Is there a reason why most LP builds on this forum have neck plates as opposed to recessed bolts? 

Or any builders out there who use neck plates on LPs want to say why they haven't used recessed bolts?

It's a lot harder (IMO) to do recessed bolts. You need access to a drill press for one thing. You don't want to screw up your neck and body if you don't know exactly how to do it and have the right stuff to do it. Not everyone here is a professional guitar builder (not that you need to be, but not everyone has the the knowledge and tools). Warmoth also doesn't sell the parts you need.

Seems like common sense to me.

The neck joint on my W LP was nice and snug so a neck plate works just fine.

Thanks for your reply - I may have confused the issue with my terminology - sorry! I meant using normal neck screws with ferrules as opposed to a neck plate. I don't have a drill press but maybe wouldn't need one for this option?

IMG_4760.JPG

you need one for this, its not an option. its something you have to pay a luthier to do. after the fact... and it means its not a good idea to buy a painted/finished body.

http://www.watershedguitars.com/ferrules.html

Thanks for the advice - I've got a 'tame' luthier who I think could help. I definitely prefer this look to a neck plate!

the neck plate/ferrule issue is why I gave up on doing an Iceman right now, and picked Telecaster.

I'm going to have to wait long enough to finish my guitar as it is. if I had  to add getting the Ferrules done, and the body painted to that...

I just don't have the patience. not right now. I need something in my hands SOON.

Yes, I know that feeling. Good thing is I'm in no hurry with my potential LP build as I've only just wired up my new strat...

Back