neck/middle position sounds weak

rwierz

hey everyone,

I did the wiring myself for a Warmoth build but I think I messed something up.
The combo between the neck and middle pickups is very weak sounding, almost like you're hearing it over the telephone.  Both the neck and middle on their own sound great, it's just the combination.
Its a strat style build, with a humbucker in the neck position and single coils in the middle and bridge.

Any help is much appreciated.

That problem is almost always caused by wiring the pickups out of phase. Basically, instead of the two signals adding together, they are on opposite phases, canceling each other out. The fix is very simple. Reverse the leads on the neck pickup.

rwierz said:
How does one reverse the leads if it is a single conductor pickup ?

You can swap the leads of the middle pickup, +/- to -/+  This will aid big time.  What is better is the middle pickup selected is purchased as RWRP = Reverse Wound/Reverse Polarity, but not everyone gets that right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Z7ZIKAXTA

The middle pickup is a Fralin Vintage Hot reverse wound. So I guess I would have to reverse the leads for the middle pickup and the bridge pickup if I wanted the whole thing to be in phase? Is there any danger of extra hum from reversing those leads?

rwierz said:
The middle pickup is a Fralin Vintage Hot reverse wound. So I guess I would have to reverse the leads for the middle pickup and the bridge pickup if I wanted the whole thing to be in phase? Is there any danger of extra hum from reversing those leads?

I've never used any Fralins, so I'll let someone else comment, but normally, when I've seen pickups that are reverse wound, they are often reverse polarity also with the express intent of being in phase in the 2nd & 4th positions.

Yes, I believe that's the intent, and it is in phase with the bridge pickup which is another Fralin. However, the neck pickup is a Seymour Duncan humbucker, so I guess it just happens to be out of phase with the Fralins. Reversing the two Fralins should put the whole thing in phase right?

rwierz said:
Yes, I believe that's the intent, and it is in phase with the bridge pickup which is another Fralin. However, the neck pickup is a Seymour Duncan humbucker, so I guess it just happens to be out of phase with the Fralins. Reversing the two Fralins should put the whole thing in phase right?

If only the Duncan is out of phase when used in conjunction with the Frailin, then I believe you would revers the Duncan, and all will be right as rain.

Finding this a little difficult considering it's a single conductor humbucker. Line6man suggests swapping the leads at the coil so I might try that. Any one have any advice on the operation? I'm guessing I just open up the back plate of the humbucker (unscrew it and unsolder it), find the leads and switch them? Anything I should know?

Personally, I'd hold out a little bit for some appropriate counsel.

I know there are many folks on this forum that use Fralins, and many that use Duncans, and it is possible that you'll encounter another individual that is using them in conjunction with each other in the same application that you are.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Personally, I'd hold out a little bit for some appropriate counsel.

I know there are many folks on this forum that use Fralins, and many that use Duncans, and it is possible that you'll encounter another individual that is using them in conjunction with each other in the same application that you are.

It's a phase issue, plain and simple.

I suppose the alternative is to swap the leads around on both the middle and bridge pickup. That works just as well as rewiring the neck pickup.

If you're opening the pickup up anyway, there's an easier way to reverse the phase: simply flip the magnet over. No change in wiring needed.

But yes, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio and most other pickups are made to match Gibson phase and Fralin pickups—or at least their single coils—are made to match Fender's. So it's very normal to run into this problem whenever you mix Fralin or Fender pickups with pickups from any other company.

line6man said:
I suppose the alternative is to swap the leads around on both the middle and bridge pickup. That works just as well as rewiring the neck pickup.

That's the ticket. Much simpler and less risky than dis-assembling the humbucker and equally effective. Reversing the leads on Tele style single coils can require additional considerations due to the grounded baseplates/covers, but Strat (and most other) style single coils typically can be reversed with near reckless abandon.

I see it's been a few days since this thread was started, did you get her working?

Back