Neck joints

Kadmium

Has anyone solved the problem of bolt-on neck joint access with Warmoths? I don't usually play on the high end of the fretboard, but have recently become aware of how uncomfortable the joint makes higher fret access on my Soloist. Is there any hope for something like the Gecko neck joint on a standard 6-string bolt-on guitar like a Warmoth? Has anyone else come up with a solution to the issue?

In short, how can we make this...
VIP%20Heel.JPG

... into this:
parker_rfcv_tb_body_back.jpg

best they have right now, is as you have pictured. Contoured heel, and then using neck ferrules. Its a pain, as it means you have to re-position the screw holes, because if you don't they will be too close to the edge of the wood.

nexrex said:
best they have right now, is as you have pictured. Contoured heel, and then using neck ferrules. Its a pain, as it means you have to re-position the screw holes, because if you don't they will be too close to the edge of the wood.

Yeah like they do on some Ibanez models.

I think looking for that in a Warmoth is kinda like wishing for fat free bacon.

its a beautiful dream... but thats really all it will ever be.

though...

my Luthier tells me he can get pretty close to an Ibanez AANJ if I bring him an undrilled Warmoth body and neck.

rg421_aanj.jpg

rg421_rear.jpg

so... here's hoping!

This is what I usually do to most of mine, sort of the Jackson style neck scallop. Helps heaps for access to the lower frets....
BillyBoplate.jpg

index.php

Personally, I'd even be satisfied with something like the the Gecko bass:
gecko_5string_2.jpg

This also seems like a good solution:
human_base_neck_joint.jpg

Why do luthiers / companies mostly seem to solve this problem for basses, but not guitars? Is it because of neck pickup placement?

this is one of the things that led me to to building from scratch. Here are some pics of the solution I've come up with (influenced heavily by my PRS CE-24). It would be awesome if Warmoth offered necks like this but they'd probably have to re-tool half of the factory first.

you'll also notice that there are recesses for the pickup rings that I make myself out of hardwood.

here you go, the top is 1 piece Padauk and the back is 1 piece figured Khaya. The body is semi-hollow. It's drilled for a Hipshot hardtail and will probably get a duncan Jazz/JB set when I put it together.

I've never posted my original stuff before since this is a Warmoth board but this time it seemed like I had a good excuse. I have been thinking about getting a 1 piece Swamp Ash blank from Warmoth and documenting the building process here on the board but I probably won't have the time to do that until December.

Back