Neck inserts

PhilHill

Hey Cagey, when you drill the 1/4 in hole for the inserts, do you recall how deep you go total? I know I want to go deeper than the size of the insert, but I'm debating whether to go as deep as the stock screws go. And how long of a machine screw do you use? Thanks.

I'm sure I could meaure it, but I probably wouldn't trust it. So, once the neck is clamped in, I'll position it so I can run the armature down on the drill press until the tip of the drill is just above the fretboard overhang, then set the travel limit so that's as deep as I can go. Keeps me from having to drill though the 'board and invent new cusswords.

As for machine screws, I use (or supply) standard lengths - 1 1/2" and 1 3/4", depending on whether the body's heel is (or may be) contoured or not.

Cagey said:
I'm sure I could meaure it, but I probably wouldn't trust it. So, once the neck is clamped in, I'll position it so I can run the armature down on the drill press until the tip of the drill is just above the fretboard overhang, then set the travel limit so that's as deep as I can go. Keeps me from having to drill though the 'board and invent new cusswords.

As for machine screws, I use standard lengths - 1 1/2" and 1 3/4", depending on whether the heel is contoured or not.

OK, I get ya. That lines up with what I figured, but it never hurts to check with another senor citizen. :laughing7:

One (questionably) good thing about being a "senior citizen" is I've made lotsa mistakes :laughing7:

Now that I have a drill press and a scrap of wenge I suppose I should get around to patching up that buggered insert job.

You get to be like an advertising pitchman and give that wenge a good plug. :icon_thumright: Hope it works out well for you.

Cagey said:
One (questionably) good thing about being a "senior citizen" is I've made lotsa mistakes :laughing7:

Unfortunately, that's the way we humans learn best. By making mistakes. This goes on until we make all the mistakes there are to make and we become an Expert, then we die the next day.......... :sad:

Back