neck finish (does glossy always mean sticky ?)

eiopago

hi,
I have a Jackson soloist with a maple painted  neck which a totally love.
the finish on it is a shiny and glossy clear coat, not sticky at all.
I also have another Jackson with a maple unpainted neck and the finish, again,  is shiny and glossy but quite sticky.
I wonder what the difference might be,
maybe a different type of gloss clear coat?
I read everywhere on this forum that glossy means sticky,
is it always true?

thanks in advance

I definitely think the type of finish makes a difference. I think the gloss poly is not sticky. Others may disagree, but it's not nearly as sticky as the neck on my Gibson V from the mid 80's. Not sure what kind of finish it had, but the neck used to get gummed up and sticky and it was a glossy finish . It's not the same at all as my Warmoth neck. I personally like the glossy finish and would get one again.

if it`s a gibson then the finish should be nitro, right?
so i guess that it`s probably the nutro gloss that makes the back of the neck feel sticky...

Gibson uses nitro for all finishes - except there was one run of weird color LP Studio's that were poly under nitro clearcoat.

Fender uses both nitro and poly.

Warmoth is poly, but has used nitro in the past.

I find that a really hard smooth poly or nitro neck can be sticky, but with just a little play, it loses that stickiness.  Call it micro abrasion - but it still looks shiny but its not sticky.

My first Warmoth neck is a gloss finished neck, and man, it is slick.  Not a trace of the tackiness I get when playing my Gibson a lot.  I am truly very impressed with the finish on that neck, I've played the hell out of it and it still looks and feels just like the day I opened up that box.

Hey,

So glossy isn't necessarily sticky... Anybody got any experience with which products are sticky which are not?

Back