"Neck did not pass QC"

tfarny

Master Member
W sent me an email that the conversion neck I ordered didn't pass QC and they're making a new one from scratch. Asks me to please wait another 5-6 weeks!

Thoughts (in order)

1) nice they didn't send me the junked one
2) waiting sucks!@#$
3) appreciate the note
4). F^&*$k!@!!  F^&*$k!@!!  F^&*$k!@!!

Man, that's a pisser....waiting suxxxxxxxxxxxx.

On a better note I got a quantum view notice my neck will be here Fri....... :hello2:

DangerousR6 said:

On a better note I got a quantum view notice my neck will be here Fri....... :hello2:

Rub it in, dude...geez....

Oh, my hollow korina body arrives today!

DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:

Rub it in, dude...geez....

Oh, my hollow korina body arrives today!
Sweet, pix please.....stat....I'm still waiting on my top to arrive so I can take it to the man......

Sorry dude, no pix today.  After rebuilding the computer, I still have to install the drivers for the digital camera.

I only ask because it seems to me that if his neck was done or close to it and didn't pass QC, he should be put at the front of the line; not kicked to the back.  I just have no idea if that is how long it takes to make a neck.

I don't know what i would do..the 3 months i waited for my warmoth body and neck were the longest months of my life!!!!!!

I can imagine that they try to group necks which require the same setup of the machines. So if it's a conversion neck they would need to set their equiment for that scale, which they probably won't want to do for just one neck. Could be something totally different though... You haven't posted anything lately that might have p***d them off? :sad:

It's a conversion neck of rosewood / ebony, and apparently it's hard to glue rosewood (tilt headstock). Also has binding and trapezoid inlays, so lots that could go wrong / take more time. I was gonna surprise you guys but you made me spill the beans!

Lucky #7 said:
I only ask because it seems to me that if his neck was done or close to it and didn't pass QC, he should be put at the front of the line; not kicked to the back.  I just have no idea if that is how long it takes to make a neck.

W may think that it's better to piss off one customer and make him wait longer by kicking him to the back than to piss off a whole bunch of customers whose orders might be delayed if he goes in front.

Not saying it is right, of course, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

It seems to me that W ought to offer a small discount on your next order when this sort of thing happens.

JBD

These things happen and quality work does take time. If it were me I'd try and make them eat the shipping cost or something to balance it all out.

So, a custom ordered neck develops a flaw, and Warmoth feels it is in the best interest to build the customer a new one.
They eat the entire material and labor cost for the first neck...and some guys think they should eat shipping costs, too?

I'm glad I don't build custom stuff!

Sixbender said:
So, a custom ordered neck develops a flaw, and Warmoth feels it is in the best interest to build the customer a new one.
They eat the entire material and labor cost for the first neck...and some guys think they should eat shipping costs, too?

It happens all the time in other businesses.

JBD

Sixbender said:

I have been repeatedly asked by a local luthier to do pickup routing for his customers because he won't do it.  I thought about it and decided that it was too risky.  If I damage the customer's axe I'm out the time and effort as well as the fee for doing the work, PLUS I get to pay for the customer's axe that I butchered.  But that is exactly the same reason the luthier won't take it on: he's too worried about the risk.  One bad job and it could easily consume year's worth of profits...

JBD

I didn't start this thread to complain, I'm mainly just happy they're making sure they ship me a good product. I may have another guitar or two around here somewhere that I can play in the meantime....If I were 19 and it were my first W, I'd be jumping out of my skin right now.

Back