Neck Contour question...

koshersteel

howdy,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which Warmoth neck contours are similar to different production guitars so I can go to Guitar Center and get a feel for what I want? This is my first post but it won't be my last. Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers,

Welcome!
I've asked too many questions, so it's my turn to try and help. The "Standard thin", is pretty similar to most guitars out there - a standard round neck. Comfortable and simple. The '59 roundback is similar to that found on many Les Pauls. The "Wizard" is similar to the Ibanez Wizard necks - thin and flat. The "wolfgang" "SRV" and "Clapton" Are based on EVH, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Eric Claptons custom contours.
Hope this helps.

Chris of Arabia said:
...and the boatneck is based on a large tree trunk...

I thought the exact same thing  :icon_biggrin: So, wizard neck is smaller than the standard?

This same question gets hashed about around once a month; I've had a few gos at asking it. Warmoth seem relatively uninterested in fully ending the 'mystery'. Here's what I've learned more or less firsthand, these are all guitars you can go down and play at the store:

Standard thin = new American standard strat
'59 = PRS 'wide fat' found on PRS McCarty, PSR SE single cut, and some others. Almost exact dimensions. Saying it's 'like a les paul' doesn't help because there are a huge variety of les paul necks and some are really thin.
SRV, Clapton = Fender's signature strats, as posted.
Fat, Boat = the early huge Fender necks (50s). Wish I knew more but I know those are too big for me.
Wizard, Woflgang = probly what other people said. no knowledge there.

Standard thin = new American standard strat

Fender's site doesn't really give good specs, but I own a 2005 MIM Strat and the Warmoth Standard Thin is noticeably thinner than the neck on that. I think maybe the MIM's had some kind of "vintage" specs or something. Dunno...

In my experience

Standard Thin isn't that much bigger than a wizard in fact they feel a LOT like wizard necks.

SRV is based on the Fender signature strat but it's the closest thing to a Fender "C" neck.
Boatneck is based on a tree trunk.
Fatback is like boatneck except fatback is round and boatneck has a bit of a V to it. Maybe you can get a fatback or boatneck and sand the neck until you get the contour you want. I'd pay the 39 dollar extra though because its easy to mess up. I do like the boatneck though it feels really good for rhythm playing, not so good if you want to shred though.

rahimiiii said:
Standard Thin isn't that much bigger than a wizard in fact they feel a LOT like wizard necks.

That really worried me. I have an Ibanez S series and the neck is too thin for me, but a Les Paul neck is slightly too thick. I went with the standard thin as a halfway, but if its similar to the wizards......I don't like those flat necks! Oh well, cat;s in the bag

Ones I got felt flat though... I don't know if its the compound radius. I'd go with SRV contour, just right for me.

I'm gonna order a Standard Thin. I hope it's what I want.  I have an old '91 Ibanez that was a cheaper model built in Korea (of course I modified the hell out of it and it's now one of my favorite guitars). The neck contour on this guitar is perfect. It is NOT super-thin like the Wizard or even Wizard-II necks like those on the RG series. It's NOT flat on the back.  I have NEVER played another Ibanez in any price-range that has a neck contour like this one. The Paul Gilbert model was a little thick for my taste, and all the others I have played were very thin.  I can't stand those super-thin, flat necks, but I ALSO cannot stand thick, chunky necks. I have medium-size hands and like medium-size guitar necks. I am hoping for something in the middle with a nice flat fret-board radius, and slightly rounded in the back (hate necks with flat backs).

I also have a '90 Fender American Standard Strat, and it has a neck that is quite thin. I had a '98 American Strat Deluxe (roller nut, Lace Sensors, etc.), and the neck on that one was thicker. In fact, I have NEVER played another Strat with a neck as thin as my Strat.  I like it, and if it were any thinner, it would be too thin...

Go down to the store and play a new american standard; that's the standard thin. I just had both in my house and I'm telling you the difference is not noticeable to me, and I'm really sensitive about neck stuff.

Back