Natural Binding

CDuda

I would like to add a natural binding to my mahogany/mahogany LP project.  I have this edge detail on my PRS and I like the look.  I plan to do the following:

1).  Fill the grain (clear – or I may tint the grain filler with brown mahogany trans tint dye)
2).  Seal the guitar with clear shellac
3).  Tape off the edge of the mahogany top
4).  Spray gloss lacquer tinted with brown mahogany “trans tint” dye (let dry – repeat with tinted if needed to get the color I want)
5).  Remove tape from edge of the mahogany top
6).  Continue spraying clear gloss lacquer (6-8 more coats).

Does this process appear correct?  Also, what type of tape would be recommended to tape off the edge of the mahogany top?  Any other recommendations or tips on how to make this work?

Many thanks in advance!

-Chris

I'd add a shot or two of clear lacquer between the "sealing" shellac and the tape.

Here's why - you're tape will be inaccurate.  BUT... you can "scrape" the color off (when the tape is removed) to even out things as you need to.  The clear lacquer gives that option and flexibility.  In fact.... if you're a good "scraper" you can just shoot some clear, then shoot the color, and go back and create the binding totally by scraping.  Keep in mind the likes of Gibson shoot all their lacquer over real binding and scrape the color back off.  A little time consuming, but not hard to do.

-CB- said:
I'd add a shot or two of clear lacquer between the "sealing" shellac and the tape.

Here's why - you're tape will be inaccurate.  BUT... you can "scrape" the color off (when the tape is removed) to even out things as you need to.  The clear lacquer gives that option and flexibility.   In fact.... if you're a good "scraper" you can just shoot some clear, then shoot the color, and go back and create the binding totally by scraping.   Keep in mind the likes of Gibson shoot all their lacquer over real binding and scrape the color back off.   A little time consuming, but not hard to do.

Thanks for the reply -CB-!  Any recommendation on the type of tape to use?  Can I just use 3M purple (freshly painted - easy release), 3M Blue (easy release)?  Should I use automotive pin striping tape?

-Chris

This is something I know not too much of - except - you I know the stuff the custom car painters use is good - cuz many still use lacquer on the real hot rod paint jobs.

You can always do a test patch on any ol' wood, and see how it goes.

Back