my VIP keeps going out of tune..

aus9

so i have a VIP that I had put together around october, and lately it has been going out of tune too quickly. could this be because the screws holding the neck on just need to be tightened? if so, how tight should i go?

aus9 said:
so i have a VIP that I had put together around october, and lately it has been going out of tune too quickly. could this be because the screws holding the neck on just need to be tightened? if so, how tight should i go?

Highly unlikely. Screws should be screwed down very tightly, but care must be taken not to start the strip the phillips head. What kind of tuners are you using? Have you changed the strings? This time of year with widely varying temperatures can wreak havoc on tuning and require more frequent tuning.

jackthehack said:
This time of year with widely varying temperatures can wreak havoc on tuning and require more frequent tuning.

So true. For instance, yesterday it was 82, and today only 80 degrees.  :toothy10:
Depends where you live, but yes, if you haven't changed strings since October, do that 1st.

Yeah I've changed them. Now that you mention it the weather could very likely be the culprit because it hasn't been going out of tune as severely as it was a week or two ago. I'll just play the bejesus out of it for a couple days and see if the problem is still there. I hope that it is just the weather because I have a gig Thursday  :tard:. Thanks guys, and I'll get some pictures of it up in a few days for you!

My money's on weather.  It's about 15 degrees colder today than it was yesterday, and my guitars were all way sharp.

Back