My Vari-Tele build

markwayne

Alright this is a more recent build. I've had a Variax 500 and 300 for some time and loved the tones but hated the feel and look. (hated is probably too nice a word!) I really wanted to play them out but I was . . . well . . . kinda embarrassed by them. After cutting the 300 down to a Dan Electro-style and refinishing it in artic white, I decided to try my hand at a full hybrid with the 500 guts.

It's an Alder body finished in my own take on aged, white linen in a satin lux. (I've got a dinner jacket the exact same color.)
The neck is mahagony with an ebony board and stainless steel frets and is short scale with my best effort on a clear gloss. (I wanted more Les Paul chunk than Tele cluck since the Variax already does a pretty good Tele.)
It has an EMG 60 in the neck an S in the middle and an 85 in the bridge.
The pickguard is a little much but I couldn't resist a little bling.
The Variax and EMG's can be used simultaneously (Variax through the Cat5 out and EMGs through the 1/4") with no digtal whine. The secret is isolating grounds which is made possible by the lack of string ground on the EMGs.
The controls are volume, tone and model select for the variax and volume and middle pu blend for the EMGs on the concentric pot. The five-way is used for both circuits. The mini toggle is a 3P3T that allows either the Variax or the EMGs to the 1/4" stereo jack while still keeping the circuits isolated.

It's a fabulous live guitar that was well worth the time sorting the electronics.

vari_tele_full.jpg

Nice!

One question though...  How long did it take you to get a white-covered EMG 60?  I've been waiting over 2 months for mine...  starting to wonder if they forgot about me...

It's much - but not too much! We're gonna need a photo of you wearing your tux and the colour-matched tele!

Xplorervoodoo said:
Nice!

One question though...  How long did it take you to get a white-covered EMG 60?  I've been waiting over 2 months for mine...  starting to wonder if they forgot about me...

Well, that particular pickup is about 17 years old. (Old, hard-wired type.) The 85, however, is new.

Wayne

Max said:
So, how about a picture of the Danelectro??

Okay, for those of you not familiar with the Variax, here's what it looked like originally:
variax300.jpg

Pretty much a very, very cool piece of technology trapped in a very cheap looking, Asian-made plastic coated, soulless hunk of cheap wood.

And after I got hold of it with a saw, sander, drill and paint:
variax300.jpg

Still looks cheap. But at least it doesn't look quite so generic and I think it even has a certain funky charm. I also set it up and it now plays like a decent, mid-priced guitar.

Wayne

Back