My "to be built" blues guitar

Pickups are said to be "hotter" when they have higher outputs. That's achieved several different ways, but most often by simply adding more windings to the coil. Usually, hotter pickups lose some amount of high end response, with some relationship between how much hotter and how much you lose, but that's variable because it depends on other variables as well.

"Wood Mount" humbuckers are just mounted differently. Most pickups are mounted in a "trapeze" type setup, where the pickups end up hanging from a pickguard or a mounting ring, with springs between the mounting ears the and the mount points to keep the pickup at a constant height. With a wood mount, you're screwing the pickup down to the body itself. Same pickup, just different fasteners, really.

Just a heads up about BB: his long-time guitar of choice has always had a varitone switch in it. This is a 6-position EQ rotary dial that cuts different frequencies in different amounts. That means even though he is using a standard set of Gibson humbuckers, he is often getting tones that are very different from what you'd get without that switch. Having played with one before, you get some sounds that are very single coil-sounding. So I don't know how much of a guide BB's sounds are gonna be in terms of choosing pickups. You may even consider getting that switch, since it is a nifty toy to work with. And those cuts can work really well, sometimes better than coil splitting, for cleaning up the sound of a higher output humbucker.

@ Cagey:

Thanks for the good explanation on that "hotter" wound issue as well as the "wood mount" thing.

@dNA

Well, I've seen that particular "Varitone Switch" on the "Lucille" Gibson sells. I would love to build something like that. It's just that is will be my first build and I wouldn't have any idea at all how the wirings will have to be set up and if Warmoth would be willing to cut out the area for that "Varitone Switch". On top I would love to have the "Toggle switch" where the LP's have it. That's a lot of "extra" wishes put on the  build.

So long guys  JULIA

The varitone switch has no fancy wiring, assuming you can buy one aftermarket at all. If so, it's just a passive EQ circuit, so you just wire it in series between your other electronics and the input jack, or in front of the volume/tone pots if you're doing a global set and not two pairs. I also don't know how big a varitone is, but if you were going for single volume and tone pots, you'd have plenty of space to add another hole - i can't imagine it'd be bigger than the hole for a toggle switch.

but really, I wasn't even recommending you try to get one. Just making a point that using BB King's sound as a reference for humbuckers is somewhat flawed logic. :)

but really really, the first time around is a learning process. so just go with your gut and your chances of being happy with it are pretty good

juwel1998 said:
Hey everybody,

thanks for your tips and hints. So I checked out some songs and it seems like I have set my mind on B.B. King. As I found out, he seemed to have used the 490T/R in his "Lucille".
I have read a little as well about the 498T/R, they are supposedly "hotter". But what does that actually mean? They are wound tighter?

If you want two HB's for a classic tone go with S. Duncan Antiquities or Seth Lovers. They are very good pickups in a reasonable price, especially if you order them from USA. Don't pay attention to what a guitarist uses, especially someone like BB King. Give him a Jackson or a BC Rich and he'll find a way to sound like himself.

@ dNA:

Thanks again. Well, you think that type of switch is even not really available? Well, BB's Lucille has 2 Volume/Tone pots, the toggle switch and the varitone switch.
But I guess  before I'll add an extra hole after having gotten the body painted, is probably not a good idea.

@ Kostas:

If I order everything in the USA, it will go through German customs and I will have to pay about 25% on top of what all of it costs + some fees. So lets say everything adds up to
2000 euros + 25% + fees. So probably I will come up to 2300 - 2400 euros.
So in case I want to get a Schaller fixed bridge, knobs, wires, toggle switch, pickups and tuners (I hope I didn't forget anything) why not get it over here instead of paying taxes and fees on top of it - which then will cost me the same amount of money?
That's the reason why I decided to get all kinds of small parts over here. This way I can save some money instead for taxes and fees on top of them.

Bye for now you two
Greets  JULIA

Here's where to buy them:

http://www.stellartone.com/Index.asp

http://www.stellartone.com/Page.asp?NavID=50

And here's how to build one:

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/rotary.pdf

This guy Dirk Wacker writes a monthly column for Premier Guitar that is hands down the most USEFUL on, month after month. All the same information is archived on his website, singlecoil.com, but I'd rather read the same thing on paper - my age is showing!
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Jun/Improving_Tone_Control_Effectiveness.aspx

http://www.singlecoil.com/frmset.html

And his store has mil-spec pots, rotary switches all different kinds of things. And the very best does cost more, but that's just a decision. I get by just fine with the regular CTS pots.

Hello StubHead,

thx a lot for your input here, I really appreciate it..... And as well, thank you for the web address....

Bye JULIA

juwel1998 said:
actually I am even thinking about a Tele, to be my first build  :hello2: :headbang:, since I have 2 strats already,

If I could influence you in any way, I'd suggest getting a telecaster.  I've played a lot of guitars, from 50's Les Pauls, to modern Ibanez shred machines.  To my fingers and ears, the telecaster is the most versatile instrument available. 

Mayflown said:
juwel1998 said:
actually I am even thinking about a Tele, to be my first build  :hello2: :headbang:, since I have 2 strats already,

If I could influence you in any way, I'd suggest getting a telecaster.  I've played a lot of guitars, from 50's Les Pauls, to modern Ibanez shred machines.  To my fingers and ears, the telecaster is the most versatile instrument available. 

Jimmy Page would probably agree, in a recording situation, anyway.

@ Mayflown

really thanks for your opinion. I am planning on doing that - I mean building a Tele. I am planning on a Tele Deluxe body with 2 Humbuckers.
Maybe I'll get the Gibson '57's for front and back. Or do you have another idea?

Bye  JULIA

@ Bagman

so, what would you suggest then, which body type and maybe which HB's/SC's?

Ciao  JULIA

I think Jimmy Page used a stock telecaster, with factory pickups, for a lot of the Led Zeppelin recordings - sometimes one with a B-bender, as well.  Others more knowledgeable than I (or with time to google it) can probably tell you more. 

Bagman67 said:
I think Jimmy Page used a stock telecaster, with factory pickups, for a lot of the Led Zeppelin recordings - sometimes one with a B-bender, as well.  Others more knowledgeable than I (or with time to google it) can probably tell you more. 

This is correct.  Jimmy used a tele with stock pickups, with a b-bender added. 

Julia - if you put humbuckers in a telecaster, that's fine - but it won't sound like a telecaster anymore. 

Thanks you two,  Bagman67 and Mayflown,

@ Mayflown,

well, it was just an idea, since I have 2 Strats and 1 LP already to use another kind of body - than those I already have. As I am thinking about getting a "blues" type of guitar, I just want something different from what I am having at home already.
Guess that's understandable. I as well was thinking to get a LPS-type body, I really would like to have the toggle-switch on the top side.

Any ideas, if yes, please let me know

bye  JULIA

juwel1998 said:

@ Mayflown,

well, it was just an idea, since I have 2 Strats and 1 LP already to use another kind of body - than those I already have. As I am thinking about getting a "blues" type of guitar, I just want something different from what I am having at home already.
Guess that's understandable. I as well was thinking to get a LPS-type body, I really would like to have the toggle-switch on the top side.

bye  JULIA

You could get a carved-top telecaster with the switch in the upper bout.

juwel1998 said:

@ Mayflown,

bye  JULIA
Well, if you have two strats and an LP, then you already have three "blues type" guitars. What people are saying is that almost all guitars are equally good at playing the blues, and great blues has been played on all types of guitars many many times. A telecaster with humbuckers will not be a better blues guitar than a strat or an LP. It may be a great guitar, and you may play the blues on it, but....

I think, if you already have two Strats and an LP, it's time to build a Tele or, like you mentioned, an LPS ... or maybe even buy one of the less conventional bodies. I don't think it's as much in the shape of the wood as the type of the wood -- the tone you'd derive -- if it's a solid body. Depending on whether you go Strat-style single coils, P90 single coils, or humbuckers, you'll get a different sound from each, even with the same type of wood. Your amp, too, is essential in determining your sound.

But, again -- all that aside -- the Blues is a feeling. It's conveying that feeling, in that form, that is the most important. The precise sound you choose to express those blues, is up to you, and depends on both your own style and how much of the sounds of your heroes you want to emulate. There is no singular "blues guitar." You need to experiment and find the guitar that complements your way of singing the blues.

reluctant-builder said:
I think, if you already have two Strats and an LP, it's time to build a Tele or, like you mentioned, an LPS ... or maybe even buy one of the less conventional bodies. I don't think it's as much in the shape of the wood as the type of the wood -- the tone you'd derive -- if it's a solid body. Depending on whether you go Strat-style single coils, P90 single coils, or humbuckers, you'll get a different sound from each, even with the same type of wood. Your amp, too, is essential in determining your sound.

But, again -- all that aside -- the Blues is a feeling. It's conveying that feeling, in that form, that is the most important. The precise sound you choose to express those blues, is up to you, and depends on both your own style and how much of the sounds of your heroes you want to emulate. There is no singular "blues guitar." You need to experiment and find the guitar that complements your way of singing the blues.
Well, the blues is a feeling, but it's also a set of fairly standard musical starting points / conventions such as 12-bar, 8-bar, triplet feel, shuffle, minor pentatonic scale with an extra note, lots of 7th chords, unhappy lyrical themes, etc.

This is important news for all blues players: http://www.theonion.com/articles/blues-singers-woman-permitted-to-tell-her-side,472/

Mayflown said:
juwel1998 said:
actually I am even thinking about a Tele, to be my first build  :hello2: :headbang:, since I have 2 strats already,

If I could influence you in any way, I'd suggest getting a telecaster.  I've played a lot of guitars, from 50's Les Pauls, to modern Ibanez shred machines.  To my fingers and ears, the telecaster is the most versatile instrument available.  
I have to say
and this comes from over 40 years of playing
I started on classical accoustic
my first electric was a mustang, played a lot of Gibson LPs and a lot of Fender GUITARS
but when I think of all those great guitars I have ever owned, it comes right down to a Telecaster.
WHY? I can not tell you , but I can squeeze more mojo out of a Tele than any thing else I have ever owned
I usually have a few in the collection
Right now I have a PRS, 2 Strats, A 335 and 2 Teles, I am building another Tele as I post this, was working on it today
but put it in your hands and it is so raw, that everything your fingers put into it comes out, A Tele hides nothing, it is all you and your emotions coming to the surface.
Any Tele player will tell you that nothing sounds like a Tele. Purple Haze was recorded on a Tele. It is the ability of the guitar to cut through the bullshite that makes it so great.
But beware, you have to learn to master a Tele, you have to learn to play without hiding behind any form of modulation, the guitar was designed to be played by guys who play guitar, not guys who lay the latest copy of Guitar World.

Back