My Tele dream comes slowly true

woj74

Hello

Just received my TELE neck and hardware. It is a raw padouk/ebony Warmoth pro standard thin with golden fretwire. All gold hardware. Now i'm starting to make the body. It's gonna be ash. I come from Poland. That's why i decided to make the body here instead of ordering at Warmoth because of huge interantional shipping rates and duties to pay. I payed for $ 460 shipment appr. $120 customs and VAT - nightmare. I got a local guitar tech who will cut and route the body from an ash plank i bought quite cheap here in Poland. Cannot tell what kind of ash is that - seems to be pretty heavy. Once it's ready i'll put it on a scale and see. Still in doubt about finishing. I consider two options-dye and tung oil or dye and poliurethane for high gloss. As for polyurethane i would have to buy air compressor to spray it finely. What do you think would look and feel better?

Attachments

• neck front.JPG
    neck front.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 439
  • neck back.JPG
    neck back.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 387
Depending on how the grain looks after the "plank" becomes a body; doing the grain filling with a black or dark brown grain filler, then finishing with tung oil could give you a look like on WillyK's new LP build:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1966.0

No need for a compressor; but if you're in Poland it will take a LONG time for the coats of tung oil to dry this time of year, unless you have access to a dry basement near a furnace....

I consider two options-dye and tung oil or dye and poliurethane for high gloss. As for polyurethane i would have to buy air compressor to spray it finely. What do you think would look and feel better?

Before dying the wood, why don't you see how the body comes out.  It may be beautiful enough under a clear gloss.  It'll amber up with age.

If it's ugly, or you think it should be died, then between the two it really doesn't matter in terms of feel for the body.  So it comes down to looks, and for me, I would like dye / gloss.

They also have poly in a can here, or you could use a wipe on. 

I have already made a decission and it is dye in a very similar to padouk color and then primer and polyurethane gloss. I quit visiting home depots for finishes as they have in general all and in detail nothing. I went to a shop ehich specializes in wood finishes and they sold me a primer for high gloss and and a two-component polyurethane finish. I have stained the wood and just applied fist coat of primer,looks good but smells bad, my wife started that old song again...the prime. I will post some pics soon.

check this one: http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=TN1628&menuItem=4&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&neckWood_filter=25

it's just the same idea of woods and construction, the only detail is my neck has gold fret wire since i my project is total gold hardware.
I'm just finishing the body, with a little more spare time i should finish my tele by the end of February, wish me good luck.

I would have liked to have the gold fretwire, but I had them give me scalloped frets from 12 to 22
and they only had 1 or 2 sizes/kinds of fret wire that I can remember, otherwise I would have done the same thing.
Very nice though.

i got a half scalloped neck-through and i really like it, really nice feeling when bending strings without any contact with fingerboard :blob7:

Back