My Strat project...(pics included)

Badfinger

I wanted to build a Strat that was a bit deeper, not as thin and bright as my other Strats, so I bought a mahogany neck, BRW board, mahogany body with a maple veneer top.  The pickups are WCR SR, the hardware is Callaham tremelo, Sperzel graduated locking tuners.  I loved the way the mahogany neck looked, so I had Warmouth finish the body in Ice Blue Metallic with a natural back.  The back and neck match up perfectly! 
Ice%20Blue%206.JPG

more pics www.bluetoneguitars.com

And check out my trem cover Cliff at Shark Inlay did for me.  Needless to say, my pick as my most influential album...

Untitled.jpg

WOW!!!

Thank you for posting that. I just ordered the same exact wood combo but with a caribbean burst on quilt maple. I went round and round with myself on what to do with the back, at first I was going to go solid, then at the last minute I went with the clean line and clear back to match the neck. All I can say is wow. I have seen varying types of grain and in my head it is the tight grain like you have there that I am hoping for. I told them that is what I wanted but you never know. I was going for a Gibson tone so mine is hollow with an f-hole and string through with a recessed TOM and PAF style humbucker wired vintage Gibson style. anyway hope it turns out as nice as yours.

practically all the guitars here are sweet, but it's that little extra like the back plate that really gets me. that thing is sooo cool.

GoDrex said:
so does the mahogany make a big difference?

Thanks for all the comments, it turned out to be a sweet guitar.  Does the mahogany make a difference?  I would say yes.  I had the same pickups in an Ash Strat and this one definitely has more bass and mids.  The neck position is maybe a bit darker, but the real difference is in the middle position and bridge position, where I'm gettig a fatter, deeper tone than what you would expect on a Strat.  Overall I'm pleased with the outcome.  And the looks are killer!

BTW, as a final touch...
Bluetone%20logo.jpg

The story behind this is that I had a management consulting company called Bluetone Consulting. When I moved back to Chicago, I went to work for another consulting company.  So I converted my old company name to my personal line of guitars!
Just trying to make it mine!

Fantastic!
I really love the contrast of the painted top on the mahogany back! (I think this is my new fetish ;))
It looks familiar though.. did you post it before?

I forgot to mention that, evidently, senility is setting in.  Yes, I posted a while ago and forgot about it.  My bad....

I love that natural back and contrasting top. I think its very PRS, I wanted a telecaster with a quilt top and natural binding with mahogany back but that combo never goes on showcase and I haven't the bottle to risk it without seeing it first.

Back