My Strat neck.

Troyzer666

Hi.
I only actually registered for this website to ask this question.
I have a high gloss Fender Strat, one of the new ones.
It looks too shiny and yellowey for me, is there anything I can do it to make it more white like the old necks?
Thanks.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Short of removing and reapplying a finish, the best option is to order a Warmoth neck with clear gloss or clear satin finish, IMO.
Yup, sad but true.  It's cheaper and easier to just replace the neck.

The gloss can be knocked back with 0000 steel wool.  The color on the other hand is part of the finish. You'd have to refinish it to get whiter.

Welcome to the board!

I wouldn't be a big fan of buying a non Fender neck. It would seriously devalue the guitar. Is there any way it can be professionaly refinished and if so what would it cost, ball park figures.

If your so worried about the guitar's value, than keep the old neck just in case you ever wanna sell the stock guitar. Seriously, get the Warmoth neck. You won't know what you're missing until you have one (for traditional but very awesome and playable strat neck i recommend clear satin nitro with no tint on maple/rosewood or maple/maple). Since you're new here, maybe you don't know this but Warmoth has alot of exotic woods available that are so stiff that they don't even need a finish. These are often only slightly more expensive than the more classic necks that your thinking of, and it's well worth it for the feel. Smooth as BUTTUH..... Canary is a favorite for it's feel and for it's maple like sound qualities. Browse the Warmoth Showcase for canary necks (and other exotics) and see what options you might have if you decide to go this route...

Troyzer666 said:
I wouldn't be a big fan of buying a non Fender neck. It would seriously devalue the guitar. Is there any way it can be professionaly refinished and if so what would it cost, ball park figures.

So, why are you on Warmoth forum??? :dontknow:  :icon_scratch:
Basically this is a forum to chat about Warmoth parts, but people talk about many things and give hints in many things, including finishing... But what you're saying is like going on DiMarzio forum and saying you wouldn't buy a Dimarzio because you think Seymour Duncans are better  :-\

I would expect it to cost at least US$200 to refinish this neck... Tonar8353 of this forum does very nice finishes, you perhaps could ask him if he's about to do this job for you...

Do what Dan Erlwine recommends in this situation.  Remove the neck. Store it in a safe place.  Buy a warmoth replacement neck that looks like the way you want.  You are not really thinking if you try to refinish a classic neck.  You will only be devaluing your guitar if you go ahead with your plan to refinish.  Please don't do anything retarded.

When it comes time to sell your classic guitar, put the old neck back on.

Troyzer666 said:

Refinishing the neck can devalue it just as much.  Ball park for cost, if you do it yourself, it's just the cost of materials.  If you pay to have it done, it can cost as much as a new neck.  Also, if you're still worried about value, check out Ebay.  A Fender body with a Warmoth neck or Warmoth body with Fender neck sometimes goes for more than if the piece were all Fender or all Warmoth.

If it really is a classic neck, I know a whole bunch of people that would love to buy it off you cheap. Then they would resell it on ebay.

Ordering a neck to be custom built for me 5,000 miles away for the sake of looks just seems like too much hassle though. I live in Ireland and we don't have these kinds of services. Nobody builds custom necks and even if they did people like to have a Fender guitar that says Fender on it. I may be a but snobbish saying that but it's true. That's just how I see it.
If anyone can find me a Fender neck for sale in Europe that'd be great.
They're so hard to come by.
Thanks.

Troyzer666 said:
Ordering a neck to be custom built for me 5,000 miles away for the sake of looks just seems like too much hassle though. I live in Ireland and we don't have these kinds of services. Nobody builds custom necks and even if they did people like to have a Fender guitar that says Fender on it. I may be a but snobbish saying that but it's true. That's just how I see it.
Thanks.

I can't say I really know someone in Ireland who does it, perhaps Marko knows, he lived in Dublin for a while... But there is this guy who has a luthiery course that I want to know, perhaps he would do it:
http://www.pauldoyleinstruments.com/home.php

In England I know Mr Jonathan from Feline Guitars and Mr Wez Venables (he's here on the forum as WezV):
http://www.wezvenables.co.uk/
http://www.felineguitars.com/

Both are very good builders that I trust 100% and would do it for you, but not put the "fender decal"

If you really want the fender neck, ebay is your friend, a quick search on eBay UK and I found some necks there, by the first sight I would say at least ten... But I can't really see a reason to buy a second FENDER neck...

Troyzer666 said:
Thanks.

A Fender waterslide decal for $10 U.S. could solve that.  Also, there's Warmoth and many others parts manufacturers' necks all over Europe and further.

Yeah, so much about this thread doesn't make sense to me.  Keep the original neck.  Warmoth necks are vastly superior, and you can put a fender decal on it easily.  Heck, I've made my own and invented crazy, Fender-esque names for them.  I even fooled a local luthier's apprentice when I took a guitar in for a fret grind.  He said, "Hey, I've never seen a Xenocaster before!"  Anyway, the point is... it's easy to make a neck look like a Fender neck if you care that much, and Warmoth necks are simply amazing when compared to stock Fender necks.

I mean, if you really want to replace a mediocre neck with another mediocre neck, go for it, but by coming to these forums, some part of you wants something better for your guitar.  Go with that instinct and quit making excuses.

-Mark

^ AMEN!  :headbang1:

Don't hold back for the sake of convenience. Order what you want or live with something that will bother you? It's worth the wait and by keeping the original neck in it's original condition, you can always re-assemble it later. That way you don't damage the neck with a botched refinish attempt or "devaule" it by changing the original spec.

5 miles or 5000 miles I think the procedure is the same for everyone that orders a neck from Warmoth (apart from import taxes to Europe), do some more homework on it, I think you will be glad you did. Good luck.

Back