My Review of Reed James Custom Woodbuckers

Vol. Knob

I recently came into a set of Reed James Custom Woodbuckers (http://www.reedjamescustom.com) with matching Cocobolo bobbins and mounting rings.  I loaded them into a recent Epiphone Les Paul Custom I traded my way into last month. 
l_1d93a315692d4293a8a1641fc1eb1b87.jpg

The Guitar itself came with one original pickup and an EMG HZ4 pickup in the bridge.  I wanted to get the clearest comparison of the originals VS the Reed James pickups I could, so I devised a test.

For testing, I used my digital multi-track device (BOSS BR1180CD) and recorded a series of riffs from each pickup on its own track.

Specifically:

Track one, original neck pickup.

Track two, EMGHZ4 bridge pickup.

Track three, Reed James Woodbucker neck pickup.

Track Four, Reed James Woodbucker bridge pickup.

For Each track I recorded the same riff with its own amp model setting.  For example, 30 seconds worth of Thin Lizzy riffs through a Marshall setting.  30 seconds worth of Ziggy Stardust on a Vox setting.  30 seconds worth of finger picking on a Roland Jazz setting.  30 seconds worth of blues on an overdriven Fender setting.  This enabled me to go back and compare the Reed James pickups against the original pickups with the exact same riffs and amp settings just by sliding levels up and down.

One striking difference is the clarity.  Both the original neck pickup and EMGHZ4 were muddier than the Reed James Customs.  The Reed James pickups were louder without having all the added midrange of higher output pickups.  A good example would be that the original pickups sounded like they were in the next room, the Reed James pickups sounded like you were in the same room.

In chords I hear better note to note separation than with the original pickups.  Single note runs, leads, punch through the mix, the sustain was sweet and singing.  When rolling the volume knob back to clean the distortion up, the volume dropped a great deal more with the original pickup, with the Reed James the volume stays put longer while the sound cleans up. 

They’re very “expressive” or “detailed”.  Certain aspects of the tone remind me of everything I like in single coils while still being a humbucker and sounding like a humbucker. 

Over the weekend my band had our first gig in months, a wedding reception.  So I had to have loads of different sounds ready to go.  I used my trusty Vox Valvetronix SE pedal board straight into the PA.  Yet I only used one setting all night long.  I dialed in a Marshall JCM800 sound dialed up to just a little overdrive and left it there.  I never hit the “distortion/overdrive” pedal models; I just used the toggle, volume knobs and tone knobs for all adjustments.  The only time I used any other effect at all was for chorus on one song and a filtertron on two others.  Four Sets, four hours.  All I did was roll the knobs around to clean up or get the distortion.  I’ve always relied on this technique, but never this much and with such great success.  Our songs ran the gambit from “Bubbly” by Coby Calet, “Time In a Bottle” by Jim Croce, and some other slow dance groaners, to some high energy “Rock this Town” by the Stray Cats, “Crazy little thing called love” by Queen, “The Time Warp” from Rocky Horror, and “Are you gonna be my girl” by Jet.  They sounded fantastic, and they were eye catching, I got lots of questions and comments from guitarists and non guitarists alike.

The look of the Cocobolo on a black guitar clashes at first.  I’ve gotten used to it and kind of like it.  This guitar is more of a “place holder” for the pickups until I can build the right Warmoth around them. 

I’ve tried to come up with something I don’t like about these pickups, but I can’t.  Yes, they’re kind of pricy at $300 for a pair, but given how good they sound and how good they look, I can’t see holding that against them.

One might take issue as to whether or not the wood makes any difference in the sound of the pickups.  I can see why someone might declare the notion to be hogwash, likewise I can see how one might say that wood is naturally going to make a difference as the rest of the guitar is mostly wood etc…  In my opinion, this argument really doesn’t matter.  If these were “all show and no go”, then I’d have sent them back and wouldn’t want anyone to know I’d ever succumbed to a pickup based upon looks alone.  And truthfully, that was the main reason I sought out a set.  I’m pleasantly supprised at how good they sound.  There are several aspects to humbucker tone that I don’t like, these don’t have any of those aspects.

Thanks for the review.

But... "Unless we hear them ourselves, they don't exist."  :laughing7: Can you post your sound clips?

I'll post what I can.  I've never posted sound clips online before....  gonna need to research that one first...  But I'll get on it, I understand your point.

I would LOVE to buy some P90 covers and a backplate from this guy, but...

1. His website sucks. Hard.

2. His spelling talents are about at the kindergarten level.

If I'm supposed to send some serious money to this guy, he needs to get serious about his website, and buy a dictionary.

I had big difficulty to understand the answer from email he sent me... To be fair even now I'm confused if he would or not sell only the wood covers for humbucker without pole pieces... :sad1:
But I've difficulty when people say too many slangs or write in the "spoken" way...

I made a set of wooden pickups, they sound great,  Mine are singles, 

If I was gonna make Humbuckers and a ring, I think I would cut all the pieces from the same stock so the grain would match. It's not that hard to do

RLW said:
I would LOVE to buy some P90 covers and a backplate from this guy, but...
1. His website sucks. Hard.
2. His spelling talents are about at the kindergarten level.
If I'm supposed to send some serious money to this guy, he needs to get serious about his website, and buy a dictionary.

Thats a tad harsh, but I'm afraid I can't argue with you there.  I'd phrase it more like "His website could use some streamlining"
and "I noticed spelling errors".  But, then again, I've had the chance to get to know the guy a bit and find that he's enthusiastic about his product and his job isn't web design, its building pickups. 

And he's a working man, I'd wager most of us tend to spell things incorrectly all day long.  My probation officer handed me a form she'd created yesterday, she was rather embarrased about her spelling of the word "Wendestay", supposed to be "Wednesday".  It wasn't the only one.  Fortunately I have a good relationship with the law enforcement officials assigned to keep me out of trouble and pointing it out did'nt land me in the slammer.

NonsenseTele said:
I had big difficulty to understand the answer from email he sent me... To be fair even now I'm confused if he would or not sell only the wood covers for humbucker without pole pieces... :sad1:
But I've difficulty when people say too many slangs or write in the "spoken" way...

Okie Dokie.  I'll have a pow wow with the fella and see if'n I can hip him to yer flangerdoodle.   In other words, I'll talk to him and ask the question again.  I'll be calling him when my rosewood P-90s arrive anyway.

Keep in mind, its a one-man business.  He built the device himself that cuts the covers, apparently it was no easy task as there's a lot that can go wrong when slicing wood down into such small and exact little peices.

IMHO, his product sells itself.  Its a shame that an issue or two (or three, or four) with his website might turn someone off.  I must confess that I'm not a fan of his web design, not that I've ever designed one.  But I am a fan his product.

......I had to modify this twice due to two spelling errors....  It happens to us all..... :)

Vol. Knob said:
......I had to modify this twice due to two spelling errors....   It happens to us all..... :)

With me, all the time  :laughing7:
Thought, Though, tough....  :doh:

I've send him another mail, with more details about and other question, let's see what happen... If nothing helps, I'll try to do it myself, the only trouble is which thickness of the wood I must left, beside it, it's not that hard (I guess  :laughing7:)...

My thought about the mistakes are: he claim's Reed James ENGENERRING... that's tell: "we are on upper level"

If I make my points harshly, it's because I'd like to see the guy succeed. I love the looks of his products, and, like you said, he seems to have his heart in his work.

Well, I really thought he would never tell me the thickness of the wood... but he did, it's kind the "big jump" of the whole thing... So the only thing I can say is: the web can be not perfect and contain some misspells, but he seems a nice guy and knows what is going on!
+1 point to him!

wow you guys relay are judgmental. I think his site rocks . he has some covers and rings on eBay looks like a killer deal to me,  I  want a set of them P-90 covers. I sent him an email  asking him if thy would fit on PRS P-90s he must be real busy still has not answered me yet  www.pickuprings.com has them too but thy are real expensive. one thing I wish reed would do is turn off his flash when he takes pics. but relay who cares if he has bad grammar skills and dose not know haw to use his camera his work is awesome. hay RLW little bit out of line. one thing awesome about Reed with dealing with him is he treats you more like a friend then a customer , listens to your ideas takes what you have in your mind and will build it for you who else in the business will do that

happy new year
Frank  Penn

Hey Frank! Yes we are... :laughing7:

He takes a couple of days or so to answer his emails, in my experience...

guitarjunky said:
wow you guys relay are judgmental. I think his site rocks . he has some covers and rings on eBay looks like a killer deal to me,  I  want a set of them P-90 covers. I sent him an email  asking him if thy would fit on PRS P-90s he must be real busy still has not answered me yet  www.pickuprings.com has them too but thy are real expensive. one thing I wish reed would do is turn off his flash when he takes pics. but relay who cares if he has bad grammar skills and dose not know haw to use his camera his work is awesome. hay RLW little bit out of line. one thing awesome about Reed with dealing with him is he treats you more like a friend then a customer , listens to your ideas takes what you have in your mind and will build it for you who else in the business will do that

happy new year
Frank  Penn

SPELLING POLICE!!!!!  Step away from the keyboard and place your hands above your monitor!!!  Shame shame shame.  I should write you a ticket!!!

No, but seriously.  He's a great guy who indeed treats you more like a friend than a customer.  I keep finding myself in extended conversations where we talk forever about stuff that has nothing to do with guitars.  I taked to him today, he just mailed my package and he wanted to chat about a couple guitars he either worked on or was gonna pass on. 

Honestly, if his website was slick and professional I'd be suspicious of his product.  I find the spelling errors comforting.   

Reed James pickups are awesome. I just recently got a set for my fat strat. It's a variation of his 60's strat single coils and a woodbucker in the bridge. they're made  of bocote and look awesome . the tone is so much better than the original vintage noiseless fender pickups. just way clearer, louder, and defined. the bottom end is way more defined and punchy and the mids just seem to be voiced much better(if that makes any sense). like volknob said, the note separation you can hear in chords is incredible even with high gain. i got a push pull knob to split the humbucker to a single coil as well which is awesome. Jim even offered to wire everything up if i sent him my pickguard. ended up going to guitar center instead because i was afraid id be w/o my one love for too long if i sent it out to cali. but jim was awesome too. who cares about his website though really? i sent him one email and gave him my cell phone number and he called me like 2 days later and started asking me how i wanted them to sound. answered all my questions (because i had no idea what to get) just told him what i wanted them to sound like and he NAILED IT! even w/ no side by side comparison(about a week between playing old pickups and new reed james) i instantly was like "holy $***! this sounds rockin"

Back