My live rig (rack and home made cabs)

RU36

4564527927_4df1bc2041.jpg

The Rack from top to bottom
Senhizer wireless unit
Furman power conditioner
Rocktron Prophecy II preamp
Korg tuner
Line 6 pod xt pro (routed through the rocktrons fx loop)
DBX compressor gate (not used but have not removed yet)
QSC 3000w power amp

The speaker cabs are home made.
3/4 inch void free birch covered in line-x with a expanded metal grill.
Two 4 inch ports per cab.
Speak-on plugs on back.
I designed them with some cab building software from eminence.
The speakers are eminence Delta 12b's
Two 16 ohm 800 watt speakers per cab wired in parallel gives me 1600watts at 8 ohms.
When you run both cabs linked together it's a 3200watt half stack at 4 ohms

The whole idea was to not bring two full stacks on the road, and it worked.
When you play it turned up to 4 you can feel every palm muted note physically "kick"
When you run it at 6 all of your clothes shake and vibrate.
Its not like any tube amp I have owned in the past.
For one its about a third louder, and has a way more punchy low end that you can feel.
And two there is no bass fart or speaker distortion at ridiculously high volumes, its crystal clear and responds to exactly what you play.
It also hits the tone sweet spot much much earlier than all my tube rigs I used in the past and doesn't shit out when you push it louder.

Cool stuff, though I've personally never liked Line6's units. Rack gear is really making a comeback! I like that you built your own speakers. Do you mike it up or line it to the board?

Man, I hope SuperLizard is sitting down when he clicks this thread. TWO digital preamps/modelers and a solid state power amp in one rack, hope his floor is carpeted with some thick padding!!  :toothy12:

Death by Uberschall said:
Man, I hope SuperLizard is sitting down when he clicks this thread. TWO digital preamps/modelers and a solid state power amp in one rack, hope his floor is carpeted with some thick padding!!  :toothy12:

:toothy12:

That is a really nice rig.  Good to see some excellent use of modern technology to solve real world problems. 

I'm not surprised the performance is better than a tube rig for live work.

kboman said:
Cool stuff, though I've personally never liked Line6's units. Rack gear is really making a comeback! I like that you built your own speakers. Do you mike it up or line it to the board?

Ya the line 6 preamp never really won me over either, and the noise gate is crap.
It always sounded ok and usable but not KILLER!
Also the line 6 does not have separate volumes for the DI and amp out.
What it does have is a ton of FX that sound good (as long as you are not using the LINE 6 preamp)

So i use the line 6 in the FX loop of the rocktron with all the preamps and cab emulator stuff on in the pod on bypass.

The Rocktron is head and shoulders above the line 6 as far as tone goes.
It actually sounds "real" and its not distant or muddy like the line 6 preamp tends to be.
So I just use them both and get the best of both worlds.

kboman said:

I run a DI out of the Rocktron.
The cab simulator is legit on on the Rocktron and its less stage noise coming out of the PA when you dont use a mic.
It sounds super clean on stage.
I will try to get some sound clips up as soon as I figure out how to post mp3s

Back