My Latest thing

Hey!  There's loads of pics on the thread!

ok - I can't find the photo of the body (the link went away after I bought it), but I can tell you that it's a 3 piece alder tele body.  Weight is 4.5 lbs.

I've been using swamp ash up till now - so I'm curious on how the alder will sound.

I'll bug Gregg on Monday on how to get access to photos of a body that's been sold.

T

P.S. just came from a gig - I did a solo spot with my red bender tele.  Went over quite well if I do say so myself...  :icon_biggrin:

Ryan (Rounce55) said:
DangerousR6 said:
Tonar8353 said:
Like many of our friends on the board say, “ if there is no pictures it does not exist”.  :laughing8:
We need pictures!  What kind of wood is it?
Ya, what he said....

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics2.gif

or
worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

How'd you do those awesome smilies?
I stole 'em from someone else..... :icon_biggrin:

All right, time for an update.

As some of you know, I have no patience when it comes to finishing.  In addition, my wife is pregnant with our second child and she does not want any thinner flashing off anything anywhere near the house.

This led me to find help.  I know when I'm over my head.

Stepping up to the plate to help with this project is none other than the man we know as Tonar!

:hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Tonar requested that I make him a test board with the paper attached for him to try out.  So I made this:

n527102111_2277397_603307.jpg

This is actually my test board for my B-bender router template.  Suitable, since this guitar will have a bender as well.

The other side is not so pretty:

n527102111_2277395_559716.jpg

I'm starting to get stingy with this paper so I re-used a scrap that I tested some rattle cans with.  Actually, this rattle can test was what convinced me that I really didn't know what I was doing and I needed the help of a finishing pro.

More later...

Damn, calling in the big guns now!

Did you run back to that store and buy up the remaining paper?

No I didn't.  I wanted to today, but my young son fell asleep in the car so I came home instead.

BTW - thanks for putting the pic of the body up.  How did you get it from the number?

Warmoth seemingly never deletes images, just links to them.  They label the pics as "a" ,"b", "c" etc for the extra views.  So yours would translate to:

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/images/bodies/large/t1405a.jpg
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/images/bodies/large/t1405b.jpg
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/images/bodies/large/t1405c.jpg

I like your projects, they're adventurous.  :icon_thumright:

OOOOHHHH, man.  Good call on THE MAN.  I have a great feeling about a genius idea, such as you have supplied, being executed by the best of the best.  Tonar will surely not dissapoint.  I could not wait to see how this unfolded, but it just got even better from where I am sitting.

I am indeed very happy that Tonar agreed to put his time and energy behind this project.

Thank you for all the kind words but we will see on this one.  Nothing like going down new roads to test your ingenuity and seeing if you can pull it off.  I want to thank Trevor the Mayfly for giving me the chance to bring his vision to life.

We have some great ideas that I think will work out really fine.  After Trevor selects the green for his burst I’ll match it with lacquer to do the burst. Then on top of the burst color I’m going to add some Crescent Bronze gold powder that matches the gold on the paper and lightly dust the burst with the powder mixed in clear.  It should look smoking under stage lights.

Careful Tonar - you're gonna make me want it right away!  :icon_jokercolor:

Speaking of paint chips, what do you all think of these?

n527102111_2286750_1003026.jpg

The green is tricky - it changes on you depending on the light.  There is a fair amount of metallic in this paper...

Personally, I wouldn't try to match greens. It probably won't work.... those swatches always seem inaccurate to me. What I would do is pick a decidedly darker green that will just go nicely next to the print.

nathana said:
Personally, I wouldn't try to match greens. It probably won't work.... those swatches always seem inaccurate to me. What I would do is pick a decidedly darker green that will just go nicely next to the print.

Are doubting of Tonar??? How you dare, HERETIC!!!!!!!!!!

nathana said:

Actually, that's pretty much my intention.  I'm just trying to find a green that's dark but not earthy. 
I'm wondering if British Racing Green would work...

Back