My Hollow Strat with pics.

dennq

Here is a pic of my 7 year old Hollow Strat. It features a Swamp Ash body with a Cherryburst finish with a Quilted Maple top.

The neck is Birdseye Maple with a SRV contour and a Pau Ferro fretboard and a vintage tint matt finish.
Pickups are Rio Grande Vintage Tallboys without covers.

This guitar weighs in at 6 lbs 8 ozs.

Attachments

• PC030020.JPG
    PC030020.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 526
What do you think of the vintage tallboys? I'm about ready to buy a set for my alder / maple strat. Are they really vintage-repro style, or a little hotter than vintage?

I find the tallboys have more midrange than any vintage wound pickup I've played.  The do however sound very good, but not in a classic Fender way (they still quack very well though).  It's like the difference between playing a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Vox AC30.  The Fender has a spankin' hollow (scooped mids) tone, and the AC30 has huge, chimey tone with tons of midrange.  One isn't better than the other, they're just different.  I think you can get just about any tone you want out of them if you're willing to go beyond what you think is normal when tweaking you amp.  The biggest lesson I ever learned in tone was how to NOT trust where you THINK the knobs should go, but where you ears tell you they should go.

-Rose

Back