My First Warmoth Purchase!!

Phrygian

I couldn't let it sit out there any longer so I just pulled the trigger and bought this Canary/Brazilian/MOP neck:
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&menuItem=1&itemNumber=SN3941

Now I need to find a body to go with it.  I've had tobacco burst on my mind (flame maple on alder), with maybe a white pearl pickgaurd.  I'm still thinking though.

Well done!
Since Bursts always have a big difference in color, I think this kind of color is the ones that will match better in what you're thinking:
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=PS2239&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&finish_filter=54
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=PS2274&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&finish_filter=54

I've been looking at this one actually:
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=PS1801&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&bodyWood_filter=2&laminateWood_filter=13&finish_filter=54

Nice neck!

I like both of the burst bodies above (nonsense tele's post) but I really like the 2nd one best!

Good luck with your project and keep us posted!  

Phrygian said:
I've been looking at this one actually:
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=PS1801&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&bodyWood_filter=2&laminateWood_filter=13&finish_filter=54

Wow. That's a great flame and bursting. And I don't even like maple!
I would not use any kind of white p/guard with that.

I ordered it unfinished with 6105 frets and Kluson tuner holes.  I was planning to play it raw... or lightly oiled.

That combo should work great; that body cries for a gold anodized pickguard with all black hardware....

Ok, so no one is in agreement with this?

test1.jpg

Dude thats sweeet as!  i recon gold hardware! tell us, r u goin S-S-S or H-S-S ?? ??

Phrygian said:
Ok, so no one is in agreement with this?

test1.jpg

Yes I am! That rocks! I think it looks far better than the black pickguard IMO.

Gold hardware is a great call as well! That will be a mean guitar!

You can configure your guitar any way you see fit; aesthetically in my own non-humble sordid opinion the pearloid pickguard looks a little "busy" on a nice flame top like that. Cream/parchment maybe?

If you want a Strat look, with pickguard etc... dont go so fancy on the wood.

I'm tryin to say, if you wanna show of the wood, go rear routed.  I think your neck choice would look awesome with that body, but would be even better without the pickguard, you can find a rear route body like that

Again I'd disagree, Fender a few years back used to do a Flame Maple Top model very much like the one pictured. That was an awesome guitar. You should stick to your guns Phrygian, I think that could be a really special strat, and for me a rear rout just doesn't look or feel like a strat. 

You got to do what you fell dude! The guitar will be yours, not ours... we have some thing to say, and much of that will help, put visual effect is your...

Soloshchenko said:
Again I'd disagree, Fender a few years back used to do a Flame Maple Top model very much like the one pictured. That was an awesome guitar. You should stick to your guns Phrygian, I think that could be a really special strat, and for me a rear rout just doesn't look or feel like a strat.  

You misunderstood. I wasn't saying anything except, it would look better (to me) to showoff the wood.
And no one cares what fender did a couple years ago

I didn't mean to suggest at all that what phry has pictured there with a pickguard, doesn't look totally bitchen as is. I like it a lot, I just gave him a 2 cent opinion to consider before, picking the final body, of course the choice is his. and he's in a win win spot right now.

And I agree with you that the lack of a pickguard is non strat like

Please keep "showing off yer wood" discussions to the PMs... this is a family forum!  :laughing7:

If you look again you'll notice that the body has been sold  :)

First, I will say that I do like rear routed guitars.  However, I don't like the typical ugly single coil routes, and there are not a lot of pickups that would look right in the EMG shape route.  I want to use Lace Hot Gold pickups, and I don't think they would look good that way.  Also, if I were building a rear routed Strat, I would want the headstock to match the body or the fretboard wood.

I still have to decide on pickguard, pickup, and control colors.  Also, I haven't decided on hardware color (I don't like black).  I kind of like Jack's idea of a gold anodized pickguard, but I won't find one setup for H-S-H.  That brings up another problem, I really wanted to find a company that could make an H-S-H pickguard cut to the Lace Dually shape (cuts back in to cover the space between coils... picture two half circles stuck together, similar to the old Strat Ultra pickguard, but it was S-S-H).  I guess I'll have to settle for a pickguard like this one:

HSH.jpg

Pardon the off-topic question, but what does Phrygian mean?  Is it someone who likes to build guitars - kinda like a luthier?  Thanks for the clarification!

Nice looking project, by the way.  I hope to join you in the next coupe of months, though I think an SG is more my speed.  Hey Berry....

SantaCruzOM

Back