My First Warmoth Purchase!!

Be advised that all the anodized aluminum pickguards (gold or other colors) I've used so far need some reaming even to get a regular SC cover to fit through. You can find them on eBay pretty cheap and being aluminum it wouldn't be real hard to cut out whatever pickup config you want. The cheap ones come from Hong Kong typically and take a couple of weeks to arrive, but can usually be had for around $20.

I think the first line of my last post may have confused some people.  Just to be clear, I did buy the body.  :blob7:

Jack, I been thinking about cutting my own custom pickguard.  It would be cool to do aluminum and get it gold anodized.  A buddy of mine makes electro-mechanical audio devices, and he owns a nice shop.  He may be able to help me.

SantaCruzOM, Phrygian is a mode.  I think you know that, but I can explain it to you at lunch tomorrow if you like.  :)

I think I've found the pickguard I've been looking for, if it will work with the Lace duallies.  I found this at Guitar Parts Resource (http://www.guitarpartsresource.com):

strathumpearl2.jpg

Odd thing is, I don't see any mounting holes for the humbuckers.

Phrygian,
We share similar  tastes. My order is also a tobacco burst, flame maple, gold hardware, parchment pearl pg with pau fretboard.  I look forward to seeing pics of yours when it's done since I'm still a couple months out.

It might be October before my build is finished.  I just ordered my pups today, and I still haven't ordered any of my other hardware or electronics.  I did order the pickguard that I posted above.  I think it will come in later this week, after the body and neck.  Waiting for a ground shipment to Florida from Washington is excruciating!  It's been in transit to Jacksonville since 9/13 at 6 am.

Thepriebster, you mentioned Pau Ferro for the fretboard, but what neck wood did you choose?

Goncalo Alves, I like the contrasting grain pattern, and the fact it doesn't need finishing. I got the half scallop neck. What pups did you get?  I got the Lindy Fralin Vintage hots for n and m. And a SP43 for the b.

Very nice, and I imagine that wood probably feels fantastic raw.  I am anxious to feel the raw Caranywood in my hands myself.

yes I did. I forgot to mention that mine is also hollow and at the time I didn't see the right combination. So this will be a sure test of my patience. So right now I live vicariously through the members here.

Hey guys, just wanted to tell you my little story about waiting.  I currently have in my posession my first Warmoth project.  I am not a wealthy man, and as such have been purchasing this thing piece by piece.  I bought the body from the showcase, several weeks later bought my pick-ups, pick guard, hardware, wiring, and wired that bad boy all together.  Wait some more. I then bought my bridge, installed bridge and pickguard assembly.  Wait some more.  Bought tuners and neck plate and screws, and strap locks.  So here I sit with nothing left to buy but the perfect neck, and a few days ago all the motor mounts on my one and only car failed simultaneously, the engine shifted and smashed my radiator and a few other little items in there.  Good bye neck money, hello more waiting!!!!!

I know how this goes.  I'm sorry that you were in the middle of your project when it happened.  A little over a year ago, I put a lot of money and sweat into installing a new alternator, battery, and (the most pain in the butt of all to install) a heater return hose in my woman's Volvo 740.  A month later and the water pump was leaking badly.  We have a daughter, so it was time to invest in a new family vehicle.  A new car payment will put any guitar plans on hold.

The only reason I am able to do this is because I started an open credit line with my bank.  I'll be paying off my Warmth for the next year or two.

Hell yeah, man....I've got two kids.  Everything I do now is predicated by the question "is this beneficial to my children, and if not, will it at least not be detrimental?"  So, yeah, family car first, guitar neck later.  Not to worry too much though, there are eight guitars in this house right now, so I'm not completely without the means to rock out, It's just that there is something almost mystical about building my own guitars.  Oh yeah, the boys are just as disappointed as I am, they keep asking me when I'm going to be able to finish up Strat-O-Louie, and get started on the Tele-G!  Anyway, I'm also keeping track of your progress, so good luck there man!

I got this pickguard made for me by Tony Dudziak in Ohio. It's clear plexiglass painted gold on the back. He can do whatever you want as far as pickup holes etc. pickguardian.com if youwant to check it out. This look goes great on a sunburst.

Attachments

• three.JPG
    three.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 248
Back