My First Project Guitar

Brightkj

God, I hate that subject line, but it is what it is...  :tard:

Thanks for taking the time to check this out.  As the subject says, this is my first project guitar and I'm just looking for a little guidance.  Since this is my first project, I didn't want to go too high dollar on the body, so I got what I thought was a nicely figured Swamp Ash MM off eBay.  The neck will definitely be coming from Warmoth -- that is once I decide how to finish this thing. 

That's where I'm a little confused... there was one statement in the description that leaves me concerned that my finish options may be limited.  "It is sanded, sealed and ready for any finish you want to apply."  It may be a dumb question and maybe I read it wrong somewhere, but doesn't it being sealed preclude me from dyeing/staining the wood?  That would really bite, because I was thinking about a black or blue dye job on it.  I do know that grain filler is a must on this thing, because I can clearly see and feel the open pores in the wood. 

This is going to be my fall/winter project and I want to take my time and do it right.  I'm open for any suggestions you guys might have as far as what finish might look good on this.  Thanks in advance for your time and your input.

strat_front.jpg

strat_back.jpg

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can't dye after you seal.  You could probably do a translucent finish of some sort, though...

What kind of resources do you have?  Can you spray poly or nitro, or are we talking bathtub job only?

I have access to all the equipment and a spray room, but I've never sprayed either.  However, I've got a buddy that owns a body shop and he's willing to help me out if I need him.  More than anything, I'm just looking for ideas at this point.  Thanks.

That looks like a MusiKraft body bought or originally bought off the Jamserson Guitars store on eBay.  Their verbiage states:

"Nelsonite is a wood stabilizer (Not a finish) that penetrates the wood. It has the consistency of water and evaporates off the surface. One nice feature of this product is that you can apply any finish you like over it, from Lacquer to oil."

You can Google Nelsonite if you care; it may or may not interfere with applications of dye/stain, depending on how it was applied and how long ago.

I never bought one of their bodies so I can't tell you for sure, you can do a quick check on the back of the body to test. If there is a problem, all you'll need to do to rectify it is to give the body a thorough sanding with #220 sandpaper back to the bare wood.

dbw said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can't dye after you seal.  You could probably do a translucent finish of some sort, though...

What kind of resources do you have?  Can you spray poly or nitro, or are we talking bathtub job only?

I do not like dying after a seal.  How about using a clear seal after you dye?

It's actually a MightyMite body.  I've got an e-mail into them trying to find out exactly what it is they put on it.

I appreciate the feedback from you guys!

Well, here's the neck I ordered from Warmoth... It's solid Indian rosewood.  It will be fitted with stainless steel frets and a Graphtec graphite nut.  I'm planning on adding a set of Grover mini locking rotomatics.  I went with the Rosewood because I wanted to tone down the sharpness of the Strat a little bit and help give it a little warmer sound.

neck_fingerboard.jpg

neck_back.jpg

Back