My first Jazz Bass

toronado

Finally, I have finished my first warmoth build. Hope you enjoy the pictures.
:icon_biggrin:
Specs are:
Body: Quilted maple on swamp ash. Blue dye, finished with oil and wax.
Neck: Birdseye maple with rosewood fingerboard, block inlays and binding (yeah). Finished in clear satin.
Hardware: Schaller BML, Gotoh bridge, Seymour Duncan Basslines Vintage Stacks, 500k pots.

25qzriq.jpg

5p4wb4.jpg

2n6ar20.jpg

Wow! I love the blue.  Blocks and binding are a nice touch.

Very classy.  :icon_thumright:

That blue looks better (to me) with a muted finish, not so gaudy! Did you use alcohol, water or MEK-based dyes?

stubhead said:
That blue looks better (to me) with a muted finish, not so gaudy! Did you use alcohol, water or MEK-based dyes?

I used water based dye. (Really cheap too, about 1,50€ for one instant pack which is sufficent for one body)

@all: thanks for your kind comments!  :)

Oil + wax always looks better!  :headbang: That's how I'll do my build, whenever it happens... J-basses = good basses, lovely to see another one.

YES!!!!!! and yes again!  Nice bass.  Good advice on the dye finish being cheap.  I might have to try that...

Wow,that's a keeper for sure.The block neck works well with that color.Nice job..You should be proud indeed.

Cheers.

Can you detail what the finish was?  You mentioned, oil and wax, are you talking a pure drying oil like pure tung or linseed, or an "oil finish" with varnish compounds?  How many coats?

Looks great, regardless!

neuftone said:
Can you detail what the finish was?  You mentioned, oil and wax, are you talking a pure drying oil like pure tung or linseed, or an "oil finish" with varnish compounds?  How many coats?

Looks great, regardless!

Thanks. Sorry for my late answer, I was on holidays in Sardegna.  :toothy10:

The dying was done by using a cheap water based, instant blue dye from the hardware store. I think I used 2 coats.
The dye came out a bit darker in the end then I wanted it to be, but I love it, anyway. :glasses10: Really looks good on stage when lights are shining on the body.
Makes the quilt figure jump out. Oh, and no grain filler was used on the back (wich is made of swamp ash) - I probably would do it now, but well, It was my first build, and definately not my last.

I used an oil and wax set from a german shop called "Rockinger". (sorry, german only)
The mixture is based on linseed oil, with some herb and citrus extracts, beeswax and carnauba wax. The trick is to leave the bottle still for a while, so the
wax would settle on the bottom.
So I did apply the oil according to the instructions (I think 3 or 4 coats, and then shaked the now 2/3 emtpy bottle. Then I put the wax on the body until
the wood would stop to absorb it (2coats, but the bottle was emtpy by then anyway). Really easy to do, really.

Oh, and the bass sounds amazing through my rig. (Sunn 300T + 4*10'' + 1*15'' cabs).

Rockinger?
Sounds like the perfect guitar finish :p
Why? Because it makes your guitar/bass rockinger.

Back