My first DIY build. Black stained swamp ash strat.

el_duderino

Hi there!

I'm new here as well as in the guitar building game.
Just received a stunning one piece swamp ash body and a maple/ebony neck. I'm gonna do black stain and black grain filler on the body. Just black stain on the neck. Here it is, right out of the box:

Attachments

• IMG_3317.JPG
    IMG_3317.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3320.JPG
    IMG_3320.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
Welcome aboard.  Nice parts you selected.

I see you're not into the whole brevity thing. 

Applied some black grain filler on the neck and then sanded it down.

Attachments

• IMG_3323.JPG
    IMG_3323.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3325.JPG
    IMG_3325.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
Yes, not too many words in me  :hello2: I just want to share my (awesome) experience with you, and maybe get some tips for my next project. I might learn something  :toothy10:

So, I did black stain on the body. Then black grain filler, and then sanded it down. I'm not sure it's the correct order, but I tried it out on some pieces of ash, before hand, and that's what worked for me and the tools and materials I had.

Attachments

• IMG_3332.JPG
    IMG_3332.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3331.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3328.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3321.JPG
    IMG_3321.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
I see you've found black stain doesn't work well on maple necks. I did that back in the 80's for a client who wanted an all flat black stained Strat. Did OK on the mahogany body, but I ended up using black lacquer on the neck with a flattening agent in the clear coat.

Aaaand several coats of Tru-oil, and many hours later, my first DIY finished and assembled guitar was done. I love it. It plays very well, and the frets didn't need to be leveled  :hello2:

Peace out  :redflag:

Attachments

• DSC_0071.jpg
    DSC_0071.jpg
    977.1 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0073.jpg
    DSC_0073.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
AirCap said:
I see you've found black stain doesn't work well on maple necks. I did that back in the 80's for a client who wanted an all flat black stained Strat. Did OK on the mahogany body, but I ended up using black lacquer on the neck with a flattening agent in the clear coat.

Hi. I just wanted a rough, driftwood-ish kinda look, so this was what I was going for - not an all black guitar :)

I LOVE IT!! The ''driftwood'' look is one of my absolute favorite treatments for swamp ash bodies. You definitely nailed it--ENJOY!

el_duderino said:
I just wanted a rough, driftwood-ish kinda look, so this was what I was going for - not an all black guitar :)

I'd say you captured that look nicely, well done!

Now you just need to start calling it "Zatara" (driftwood) like in the 'Count of Monte Cristo'.

That drift wood effect is really cool! Like the translucent trem cover too.

:icon_thumright:

That really does look cool. I like the way the neck and body match. Beautiful effect.

Man, if that don't look all blanketty blank cool. Very nice work.

(Gonna go back and look at the pics again now...  :icon_jokercolor:)

Thank you. I'm pretty satisfied with the result myself too.
Although, I'm not quite settled on the pickups and pots. I think I'm gonna swap the DiMarzio Cruiser in the neck position with a SSL-1 perhaps or maybe another Dimarzio Area 61 (as the middle PU), and then change all the pots to 250Ks. I'm hoping it's gonna feel more like a real strat then  :guitaristgif:  The Cruiser is like a beefy single coil and it sounds very nice, but it just doesn't feel right in this guitar. BTW it's a Pearly Gates in the bridge \m/  \m/

So, I think for my next project I'm gonna try a "pretty" finish, and go with a tele with a yellow/orange burst on flamed maple, and a vintage tinted one piece maple neck.
This guitar (Zartara) was a present for me, coz' I was about to become a father, and my girlfriend has promised me that I'll get to build another guitar when we will have our next child... I say: Lets get to it then  :toothy10: :hello2: :cool01:

Very nice build.  GOTM contender for sure.  I like the simple finish.

I have a new found interest in ash.  I did a similar finish on a tele but added a bit of color. 

Back