My favourite mistake...

wolf

Prefaction...

Your beautiful warmoth pieces is laying on the workbench, and like a mad doctor you swing your tools to make the thing alive...
A cut here, another cut there and the guitar is done...

You look at it, she's beautiful but......Daaaaamn! You drill the hole in the wrong place!

young-frankenstein.jpg

Sorry for my poor english  :sad1:
The scope of this post is to tell about your mistake during the work on your guitar/bass.

I start with a stupid mistake I did on my last build....I drilled the bottom strap lock too high. I know, it may appear as a little mistake but my eyes keep caughted always at it!

wrongstrap.JPG

Now tell yours!

I'd not sweat that hole at all... look at where they sometimes turn up on the factory Fender guitars and you'll be happy yours is where it is.

Most recently, I was installing tuners into a maple neck. I predrilled the holes and waxed each screw. Alas, THREE of the screws snapped in half inside the neck.

That was not a fix I took on myself.

nathana said:
Most recently, I was installing tuners into a maple neck. I predrilled the holes and waxed each screw. Alas, THREE of the screws snapped in half inside the neck.

Sounds like you didn't drill the pilot holes deep enough...

Tip: Use some fingernail polish or paint on a Q-tip and mark your drill bit to ensure you're drilling the pilot hole deep enough for the screw.

jackthehack said:
nathana said:

Sounds like you didn't drill the pilot holes deep enough...

Tip: Use some fingernail polish or paint on a Q-tip and mark your drill bit to ensure you're drilling the pilot hole deep enough for the screw.

I used some masking tape on the bit. I think the problem was the screws themselves... each screw broke on the EXACT same thread!

jackthehack said:
line6man said:
Ok, I don't see anything wrong with the picture. What am I missing? :icon_scratch:

The strap holder is mounted above the center line

Oh.
Who cares about something like that? It looks fine.

Check out the output jack on my Jazz bass. It's closer to the bottom because that's the way it had to be with the rear-route cavity.
3917319706_4314cdee5b.jpg

Schlieren said:
isn't that a P-bass

Nope, it's a J with a P pickup in the neck.

Before I drill a strap button hole, I put some blue tape over the spot and draw an X where I'm going to drill.  That's since my first Warmoth got an off-center strap button.  :doh:

I did the same thing using the masking tape. But probably I was to worried to ruin the finish and I miss the X =_=!
Anyway I can live with it.

yeah...snapped screws are the worst. 

I really hate going into maple because it is so hard.  I keep asking myself...do I really need that extra 1/4 turn...its just a plastic PU ring!!!  what the hell.... DAMN! :doh:

I really don't know why you folks have so much trouble with snapped screws.  I've never had an issue.

Now watch - my next project will have three of them or something  :doh:

mayfly said:
I really don't know why you folks have so much trouble with snapped screws.  I've never had an issue.

Now watch - my next project will have three of them or something  :doh:
Or 12+

A strap button off centre? A trifle. The bridge on my current Strat project is way (figuratively speaking) off centre. To quote the internet: "EPIC FAIL"

Wow, me too. The first Tele I built about 10 years ago has the bridge slightly off center so the high E string is really, really, really close to the edge of the neck at the 17th fret. It's still my favorite and I played it in various places steady for about 5 years.

eehehehe, I got it fixed (well, is not perfect but better than before)....I filled the hole with some epoxy and wood pieces, and then I repositioned the damn strap button (I also replaced the classic strap holder with the uglier but safer straplock).

Now I can look at it without crying :p

Before

wrongstrap.JPG

After the cure:

fixedback.JPG

The only reason to break off tuner screws is if you're using the wrong size bit. In a standard set, the 1/16" is too small and the 5/64" is too big.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_decimal-fraction_equivalents:_0_to_1_by_64ths

.0625" = too small, .078"= too big.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit_sizes

Get a numeric #49 bit - .073". Hell, I'll sell you one for a buck, if you'll stop goinking guitars - I bought a whole box a while back. It seems like it would be sensible for Warmoth to match screw sizes to commonly-available bits, but....  :icon_scratch: Also, as mentioned some screws suck. I very often switch screws out that come with tuner rings, tuners etc. - There are some real "bargain" screws out there, you turn your (hand) screw driver and the head strips immediately.

The "worst" thing I ever did (in the last thirty years at least) was the finishing on my seven-string, I did it at a time when my father was really sick, in and out of hospitals, in a hospital 30 miles away, etc. I was feeding his cat and dog every morning & night, driving down to Salisbury, and TRYING TO BUILD THIS fudging GUITAR....*
I actually usually know better than that. Mechanically everything's perfect, but it looks kinda like a high-school woodshop project, and not one that you got an "A" on...  :sad: I would
never change it though.

*(I might of misspelled "frick"....) :blob7:

Back