My "choose your lam top" canary tele

David

Here is my completed telecaster; a present to myself for my 40th birthday.  It is a swamp ash with canary top.  The canary had red streaks in it, so I had the back done trans red with a burst over.  They matched better than I had even hoped.  The neck is birdseye maple with a kingwood fret board.  That is how this project started-- I saw the fret board, loved and bought it, but then I needed everything else to go with it.  A story that everyone here knows all too well.

I used Dimarzio soapbar/humbuckers.  They came with these short little screws and I couldn't get the height close enough to the strings.  I had to cut shims to put in the pickup cavities and find longer screws.  The pickups sound real nice, but I don't think I'd use them again since getting them to sit right was such a hassle.

This canary does sing, though.  The neck pickup is perfect for the blues.  Real smooth. 

guitarcanary3.jpg

guitarcanary1.jpg

guitarcanary2.jpg

Wow...really nice spin on the Tele!

I dig those soapbuckers, and the grain on the board is outstanding! Good choice on the recessed TOM/string thru as well.

Very nice looking Tele David.

Strange that the screws on the pickups didn't allow you better height though?

Thanks for the compliments.  It is true what everyone says about pictures not doing the guitars justice.  Everytime I open the case I can't help smiling.

I had the pickups installed with the original screws, but they sat so low, they didn't sound right.  I don't know if it is because they are Gibson replacement pickups in a Fender body or if Warmoth pickup routes are deeper than Fender's.  My little shims work well, though.  I had to drill slightly bigger holes in the pickup cover and the metal base plate to accommodate my bigger screws.  I probably won't go with body-mounted pickups again since there are so many other options.

No matter how many times I measure, drilling the holes for body mounted pickups scares the heck out of me.

I really like that Tele.

DocNrock said:
nice tele, and I'm not really a tele fan!

This message board ALONE turned me into a fudging Tele fan...THE G.A.S. IS STRONG HERE! :laughing7:  :evil4:
Nice Tele, man! I dig it. How do you like those pups?

This is such a sweet Tele.  The woods are gorgeous, but the simplicity of the bridge, and controls just speaks volumes to the idea behind this one.  Looks like it was made to rock!

The pickups are Dimarzio DLX90s.  The are humbucking P90s.  They are supposedly a little warmer than the virtual P90 they sell, but I have never heard those.  I really like these.  Especially the neck pickup.  It is thick, smooth and clear.  Great for the blues.  The bridge pickup distorts nicely when the gain is up, or with my Tube Screamer or Boss SD-1 pedals.

The short screws were a drag, though...

Guitlouie,
Thanks so much for the nice post.  I am glad you appreciate what I was going after.  This guitar really came together nicely.  I was sort making the nicest guitar possible with the fewest number of parts.  I like things simple and this guitar feels like a soul mate.

My one small regret is that I went with the boat neck and wish it was the fat back.  But, the boat neck is what happened to be stuck on the back of that beautiful fret board I saw in the showcase and had to have.  The boat neck has the vintage tele feel, so I'm sure I learn to love it.

Fantastic Tele!! really love it..
and I too was never a tele fan until I saw all the pictures on this board! :)

SrDeMaFp said:
DocNrock said:

This message board ALONE turned me into a fricking Tele fan...THE G.A.S. IS STRONG HERE! :laughing7:  :evil4:

You said it, dude.  I've actually got a tele on order...but it'll be my kinda tele. 

Again, strong work on a really cool tele.  I really like the concept, especially since it doesn't have the pickguard.  :icon_biggrin:

DocNrock said:
SrDeMaFp said:
DocNrock said:

This message board ALONE turned me into a fricking Tele fan...THE G.A.S. IS STRONG HERE! :laughing7:  :evil4:

You said it, dude.  I've actually got a tele on order...but it'll be my kinda tele. 

Again, strong work on a really cool tele.  I really like the concept, especially since it doesn't have the pickguard.  :icon_biggrin:

What, you ordered a Tele and didn't say anything....
okaaay.gif

Back