My Bender

Patrick from Davis

So here is the latest project.  It is a Tele that is a mix of new and old, with a bender.  I have lots of pictures, but I have not gone through and organized them very well, so for now these photos will have to do.  Here are the specs:

Warmoth Pro Neck
Ziricote/Ziricote
59 Roundback
1 11/16 nut width
Earvana Nut
MOP Dot Inlays
SS 6100 frets
Neck Bling by Doug

Swamp Ash Body
Warmoth Butterscotch Blonde Finish
Roadhouse P90 Neck
Roadhouse T90 Bridge
Parsons/Green Hipshot Bender Install (by me)
Fender American Standard Tele Bridge, Modified for a Bender
Four Way Switch (Bridge, Both Series, Both Parallel, Neck)
Tone knob has a Push/Pull for Out of Phase switching

Now the fun part.  You can click on the pictures for really large images.  The front:

The Back:

The Bender:

Patrick

Gotta love that Ziricote. Nice match to the cream (or antique/vintage/married gay white or whatever they call it). The pickguard is a little jarring, but I suppose you could get used to it.

That bender is pretty ambitious. Trevor wrote a thread where he showed in some detail how to do that but it still scares me, and not just because of the myriad possibilities to screw it up: I might have to learn some hillbilly tunes to show it off. Then what?!? There ain't enough penicillin in the world...

Cagey said:
Gotta love that Ziricote. Nice match to the cream (or antique/vintage/married gay white or whatever they call it). The pickguard is a little jarring, but I suppose you could get used to it.

That bender is pretty ambitious. Trevor wrote a thread where he showed in some detail how to do that but it still scares me, and not just because of the myriad possibilities to screw it up: I might have to learn some hillbilly tunes to show it off. Then what?!? There ain't enough penicillin in the world...

I'm with ya all the way, Cagey, 'cept for the hillbilly tunes - there was a little English band you mighta heard of, outfit name of Led Zeppelin, what showed the world that b-bender's ain't just for folks with family trees that don't branch.

Patrick, the ziricote is sexy as can be, as is the blonde bod -  and I am of course a huge fan of Ken's pickups -- but I, too, am a little unsure about that red pickguard.  The good news is that once you change your mind, it's an easy swap.

Peace

Bagman

I don't remember Mr. Page ever using a bender, but then I didn't even know such a thing existed until about 10 years ago so I probably just gave him credit for being some sorta magician.

I know Eric Johnson uses one on that tune "Steve's Boogie" on the "Ah Via Musicom" CD, and if I thought for a moment I could learn that tune I'd spend the time/money and risk a body to pull it off. Nice piece of work.

Cagey said:
I don't remember Mr. Page ever using a bender, but then I didn't even know such a thing existed until about 10 years ago so I probably just gave him credit for being some sorta magician.

For starters, "All of My Love" off "In Through The Out Door," not that it's anyone's fave tune to cover.  But I'm sure there's other stuff with his bender on it.  I'll give it a look when I am not busy trying to get some work done.

I wanted to do a red tortoise shell one, but it didn't match the Warmoth lines.  I am worried that a dark tortoise would be too dark.  And it was sort of a nod to Gene Parsons guitar in the string bender video.  It is a bit bright, but we will see.
Patrick

Very Cool!  Glad to see another bender in the world!

I think it's really a fun thing and I hope you agree.  BTW - now you must forward that drawing to another person who's on the fence about the whole thing.  I suggest... Tonar!

:headbang:

Cagey said:

He used it on a lot of stuff, like "hot dog", and "D'yer Mak'er".  Just think about the rhythm track on that latter song and you'll get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoF4Dsd1uRU

Edit - Pete Townsend used it on "Eminence Front" as well.  Not very country, that.

Cagey said:

I know Eric Johnson uses one on that tune "Steve's Boogie" on the "Ah Via Musicom" CD, and if I thought for a moment I could learn that tune I'd spend the time/money and risk a body to pull it off. Nice piece of work.
Pretty sure you have a body you could risk right now!

Mayfly said:
He used [a bender] on a lot of stuff, like "hot dog", and "D'yer Mak'er".  Just think about the rhythm track on that latter song and you'll get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoF4Dsd1uRU

Edit - Pete Townsend used it on "Eminence Front" as well.  Not very country, that.

Unfortunately, here in the bastion of freedom, that video is banned from play. Some record company still wants a quarter every time you hear the tune.

When I think about how many songs I've heard casually, by mistake, inadvertently or against my will and have not paid the record company their due, I realize I'm in debt for probably billions of dollars.

Jumble Jumble said:
Cagey said:

Pretty sure you have a body you could risk right now!

I completely forgot about that! Good point.

Damn. Now I gotta start plotting and planning...

Mayfly said:
Very Cool!  Glad to see another bender in the world!

I think it's really a fun thing and I hope you agree.  BTW - now you must forward that drawing to another person who's on the fence about the whole thing.  I suggest... Tonar!

:headbang:
It is quite fun, but I keep making the same sounding riff over and over.  I'll have to get the hang of adding it to other stuff.  I could drop the drawing off at Tonar's place, he's not that far from my Brothers place.  It is a very cool thing.  Also, the Roadhouse T90 is an absurdly fun tele pickup.  It has twang, spunk, and clarity, but it barks with authority and inspires Pete Townsend maneuvers.  Lots of fun sounds and absurd arm swinging.  I am quite happy with the way things turned out.
Patrick

The cool thing to do with it is use it for passing tones in chords.  For example, play an open position A, but leave off the third finger on the b string.  Use the bender to bend up to it, then slowly release the bend while changing to an open position G at the same time.  Let the B string ring through the change, and hammer on the G shape,  especially the low E and A strings. 

Now, isn't that lovely?  :icon_thumright:

Well, crud.  I want to try that, I am a big fan of the open chord, but I will be at work for several more hours.  Oh well, visualize'n the fun...
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:

Honestly, I had to look at the pic for about 20 seconds before I realized those were not concentric pots, lol...  :doh:

Otherwise, it sure is a nice tele. Congrats!  :icon_thumright:

You're right Trevor, that is a lot of fun.  Adding in the odd ball D chord and bends all over the place, hours of entertainment.  Sounds pretty darn good as well.
Patrick

You'll start doing it with barre chords up the neck as well.  Then you'll break out that Jazz chord book and start doing little triads with bender licks connecting them.  It's way cool.

Edit - the triads are easier because you can play them with your thumb behind the neck.  You'll need that to pull the string.

Back