My 3rd Warmoth Build: Flamed Tele

Dero08

I had never considered a Telecaster, but there are too many famous songs played on them it would be a crime not to have one (Joe Bonamassa's version of I'd Rather Go Blind with Beth Hart, Prince killing it on While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Jimmy Page in the early days, Jimi Hendrix in the early days, and thousands of others ;)

I couldn't pass this body up in the showcase when i was buying my second build (SG-style), but didn't end up finishing it until about a year later:

Chambered telecaster, mahogany body with flamed maple top. Flamed roasted maple neck. Lindy Fralin Blues Special Tele Pickups:

I finished the neck with Tru-Oil, wet sanding with the Tru-Oil up to 4000 grit.

I didn't want to drill string trees into the headstock, so I was trying to find some staggered tuners ... I ended up going with Hip Shot staggered tuners and installed on the no-drill plates. The tuning stability isn't very good, and I will eventually replace these.

Here's how it came together:

Lessons Learned:
The 4-way switch did not fit in the selector slot ... there wasn't enough room for the full sweep. So, I had to go in with a thin file and take out some space. I probably won't ever go with a 4-way switch again, as the series/parallel options isn't compelling enough for me to take the extra time to make it fit. I will also replace the tuners at some point ... maybe go with Schaller or Sperzel, as they make staggered string posts?

You can always use a push-push pot for the series feature. I did that to my Tele, and used another one for out of phase pickups.

That guitar is really striking!

Looks great.
I have Gotoh vintage-style tuners for my Tele project. They look like Klusons but are staggared heights.

You can always use a push-push pot for the series feature. I did that to my Tele, and used another one for out of phase pickups.

That guitar is really striking!
Thanks for the tip ... i'll have to look into that for next time. I used push/pulls for my tele deluxe for the humbuckers ... but find myself never using the single coil sound. I think i may just keep it simple, as I tend to screw it up if i go complicated

Looks great.
I have Gotoh vintage-style tuners for my Tele project. They look like Klusons but are staggared heights.
This neck has the s gotoh/grover ream ... will the vintage fit that? I guess i'll have to just do some more research and will check out the gotohs. I don't like the looks of the gotoh mag locks for some reason, which is why I didn't pick those.

This neck has the s gotoh/grover ream ... will the vintage fit that? I guess i'll have to just do some more research and will check out the gotohs. I don't like the looks of the gotoh mag locks for some reason, which is why I didn't pick those.
All I remember is that I ordered the vintage tuner route.

Hi Dero08
Sorry I’m late to the party but what a fantastic looking guitar.
Just wondering if you added any color tot he flamed too or not?
Thanks in advance.

Back