My 2nd Warmoth Build!!!

Chris_Lohmann said:
DocNrock said:
Regarding the 85 bridge, I'll have to try that.  My amp is a bit on the bright side (JSX).

In that case, putting the EMG 85 at the bridge position of your guitar should make high-gain palm-mute & powerchord riffs sound a lot beefier.

dbw said:
Sounds like you put a lot of thought into your pickup layout, Chris.  :icon_thumright:

Yep, a lot of thought and a lot of trial & error (it was worth it, though). :icon_biggrin:

Your build is probably my favorite to date.

DocNrock said:

Thanks. Oh, hey Doc, I just noticed something. You said your amp is a JSX, but in the picture below your screen name is what appears to be a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King combo. :icon_scratch:

Chris_Lohmann said:
DocNrock said:

Thanks. Oh, hey Doc, I just noticed something. You said your amp is a JSX, but in the picture below your screen name is what appears to be a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King combo. :icon_scratch:

Nope, that's a JSX 212 combo, my amp.

That's a sick-looking guitar, man.  I like everything about it.  I, too, had the same problem with that bridge.  After much back-and-forth with Warmoth, I eventually told them to just not drill anything for the bridge and had it done locally.  It would be nice if they carried that bridge, although I already bitched about that in another thread.  :)    :rock-on:

DocNrock said:
Chris_Lohmann said:
Oh, hey Doc, I just noticed something. You said your amp is a JSX, but in the picture below your screen name is what appears to be a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King combo. :icon_scratch:

Nope, that's a JSX 212 combo, my amp.

Cool. How do like the JSX? You mentioned earlier that it's a bit on the bright side; are you using the stock EL34 tubes in it? Have you ever tried swapping out the EL34's for 6L6's? From what I've read about the JSX, it's a very easy operation to carry out and it would certainly make your amp sound warmer and less bright. My Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier has five 12AX7 preamp tubes, six 6L6 power tubes and three 5U4G solid-state silicone diodes and it has a similar feature to the JSX where I can swap out the six 6L6's for six EL34's and then just flip a switch on the rear panel to change the bias setting. I tried that a while back because I was curious about how the EL34's would sound and, to me, I thought they sounded too bright and didn't have enough low-end so I switched back to the 6L6's. However, it all depends on your personal tastes and playing style. You might find that the 6L6's sound too warm or even muddy, but it might be worth a try.

Mr Real Nice said:
That's a sick-looking guitar, man.  I like everything about it.  I, too, had the same problem with that bridge.  After much back-and-forth with Warmoth, I eventually told them to just not drill anything for the bridge and had it done locally.  It would be nice if they carried that bridge, although I already bitched about that in another thread.

Thanks for the compliments. Regarding the bridge, can you post a link to the other thread that you referred to? I'd love to read what you wrote. I was going to start a new thread about that bridge in the Suggestion Box forum, but if you've already done so, I won't bother. I can't understand why Warmoth doesn't carry that bridge. They carry other Gotoh products. :icon_scratch:

Yeah, here's the link:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3367.0

Feel free to start a thread in the Suggestion Box.  I'll reply with my vote of support.  :icon_thumright:

Mr Real Nice said:
That's a sick-looking guitar, man.  I like everything about it.  I, too, had the same problem with that bridge.  After much back-and-forth with Warmoth, I eventually told them to just not drill anything for the bridge and had it done locally.  It would be nice if they carried that bridge, although I already bitched about that in another thread.  :)    :rock-on:

+ 1 Million

Smoking cool bird you got there, love it. I agree with Doc needs a Floyd, and maybe a rev jackson style headstock.. Or even the Keneth Larence headstock,,, :headbang1:

DangerousR6 said:
Smoking cool bird you got there, love it. I agree with Doc needs a Floyd, and maybe a rev jackson style headstock.. Or even the Keneth Larence headstock,,, :headbang1:

Don't hear them for a second! Doug is out of his medicines too long and Doc is too close of them, it should have affect him by the irratiation of the molecules  :toothy12:

Serious, this is the most beaudiful/appealing Mockingbird for me!

NonsenseTele said:
DangerousR6 said:

Don't hear them for a second! Doug is out of his medicines too long and Doc is too close of them, it should have affect him by the irratiation of the molecules  :toothy12:

Serious, this is the most beaudiful/appealing Mockingbird for me!
:icon_biggrin:

Chris, according to the guys at Eurotubes, the hot ticket for this amp is to swap out the EL34s for KT77s. 

Still, love that Mockingbird!

DangerousR6 said:
Smoking cool bird you got there, love it. I agree with Doc needs a Floyd, and maybe a rev Jackson-style headstock.. Or even the Kenneth Lawrence headstock.

Thanks. I'm glad you like it. As I said in the first post of this thread, I tend to be more of a rhythm guitarist and don't really play solos very often, so I knew that I didn't want a tremolo of any kind (that includes the Floyd Rose). Two of my other guitars have recessed Original Floyd Rose tremolos so I'm familiar with how they operate and I find that keeping them set up in top form is a huge pain. For someone like me who doesn't really have much of a need for a tremolo, they're really not worth the hassle. Hardtail bridges, on the other hand, are much more rugged and low-maintenance and suit my needs much better than a tremolo. I'm confident that I made the right choice when I chose the bridge for this guitar.

Of all of the different headstock shapes that Warmoth offers, I think the Kenneth Lawrence/Hetfield headstock is, by far, the best match for the Mockingbird body. As I said earlier, I intended for my next Mockingbird to have the Kenneth Lawrence/Hetfield headstock, but it looks like I'll never get the chance now. The reason why I chose not to get the Kenneth Lawrence/Hetfield headstock on this Mockingbird was because I knew I wanted a flame maple headstock veneer dyed black to match the top of the body. Warmoth can put a veneer on the Kenneth Lawrence/Hetfield headstock, but only on part of it. In other words, the veneer wouldn't cover the whole face of the headstock(see image below).

hetfield_03.jpg

The image above is from Warmoth's showcase and depicts a mahogany/indian rosewood Kenneth Lawrence/Hetfield neck with a lacewood peghead veneer. Do you see how the lacewood peghead veneer doesn't cover the whole face of the headstock? I knew that I wanted the whole face of my Mockingbird's headstock to be covered by a flame maple veneer. In that case, I felt that the Jackson-style headstock was the best choice for this particular build. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to disagree with you in that I don't think a reversed Jackson-style headstock would've matched well at all.

DocNrock said:
Chris, according to the guys at Eurotubes, the hot ticket for this amp is to swap out the EL34s for KT77s.

I see. So, have you ever tried that? If so, how does it sound?

Chris, have you asked Warmoth if they make the Lawrence headstock without the bevels? perhaps they can make it...
I would keep doing it, as your Mockingbirds looks amazing, I just hate the BCRich's headstock on them, never see one with that "jackson-point" style and can't understand why...
With this Lawrence, would be nice too... But looks like you would have to ask a luthier do to a custom body (or the whole guitar, in this case, please send pictures to me :icon_biggrin: )

I've never asked Warmoth if they can make the Kenneth Lawrence/Hetfield headstock without the "bevels". However, I do know that you can't just call them up and order a Kenneth Lawrence/Hetfield neck. They told me that those necks are not made to order, but rather are made in batches for the Showcase only. They also told me that if none of the ones in the Showcase matched my preferred specifications, I could give them my specs and then the next time they made a batch (which could be as far as 6 months down the road), they would make one neck out of the batch to my specs and then either ship it right away and send me an email shipment confirmation or set it aside and contact me via phone or email depending on what the prior arrangements were.

I'm currently formulating a plan to try to order a Mockingbird body (just the body) through B.C. Rich's custom shop and then mate it with a Warmoth Kenneth Lawrence/Hetfield neck. Although, I should mention that this plan is in its very early stages and I haven't really worked out any of the details yet.

You know, I've never liked the headstocks (3x3 tuners) that B.C. Rich puts on their current Mockingbirds, either. However, in the past, B.C. Rich did make a couple different models of Mockingbirds with "pointed" headstocks with 6 in-line tuners.

Just found this one on eBay.

ebaymockingbird_01.jpg

ebaymockingbird_02.jpg

They don't make 'em like they used to.

It's a shame you had such difficulties with the bridge in the beginning, but I must say your guitar turned out great!
The 85 was a cool idea for the bridge, I'm curious to hear it.

Ted said:
Whaaaaaaat!!!

The original mocking bird headstocks are awesome.

Mockingbirdkoa%20004.jpg
I'd have to agree with ya there Ted, I like the original 3x3, don't really care for the 6 in line...

WAAAAAAT??? Danergous going against the pointy?? I'm shocked! hehehe ;) :laughing8:

Back