My 1st Strat

Kostas

This is my first strat and the first guitar I made of parts. It looks, feels & sounds amazing. My current favorite...:cool01:

Body: Swamp Ash-Spalted Maple top
Neck: Indian Rosewood neck-Brazilian Rosewood fretboard
Pickups: S.D. Phat Cat, Kinman Blues
Tremolo: Wilkinson VG300
Sperzel Tuners
LMI Koa ring & Tigerwood knobs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58617293@N00/sets/72157601524402433/

Also, where did you get that Wilky?  I've never seen a polished chrome one before.  They're all satin finished.

Thanks, I remember your strat from the old forum. Beautiful guitar you made!

It was hard to find this tremolo, all shops carry the VS100.
I bought it from here http://www.aampselectricguitarstore.com/allparts/bridge_index.html Bruce was very helpful, nice guy.
You can find it also here http://www.bestguitarparts.com/guitar-part/300/Wilkinson_Licensed_VG300_Tremolo.htm

Nice one. I'd lose those white PU covers and change them to black to pick up the lines in the spalting, or silver/chrome to pick up the hardware.

I'd wondered where that body went....

Yeah, that's ok if ya like really nice guitars... :laughing3:

Very nice man. I so love the spalted maple. The back of that neck is very sexy! One of these days I will have one.

-TT-

Yeah, man, that is a great looking strat.  I love that neck.  The knobs and pickup surround are a nice touch, too!

Hey Kostas,

You did a great job and it is a beauty!!

PS What do you mean, " my current favorite" ?  LOL  Are you in trouble like the rest of us?  "Bet you can't build just one"!

Gregg Stewart said:
Nice Spalt top! Did you make your own wood humbucker mounting ring?
Ring & knobs are from LMI.

Thanks guys for the nice words, the guitar rocks :guitarplayer2:

That is a great looking guitar! I love the spalted maple!
I have to agree with Jack on the white PU covers though..

m4rk0 said:
That is a great looking guitar! I love the spalted maple!
I have to agree with Jack on the white PU covers though..
The PU covers are parchment, they are matching with the binding and they are creating a nice contrast. Not an original idea, I have seen it on many Suhr guitars: covered humbucker and white single coils.

You should try the Kinman pickups, they are completely noiseless and they have THE tone!

jackthehack said:
Nice one. I'd lose those white PU covers and change them to black to pick up the lines in the spalting, or silver/chrome to pick up the hardware.

I agree with Jack. even though you say the pickup covers match the binding, the center of focus is not the binding, it's the center mass of the body.
You ever see someone who's Teeth are just too white for their face?  that's what those pichups look like.

The Guitar is awesome looking anyway. black pickup covers will look better.

Alfang said:
jackthehack said:

I agree with Jack. even though you say the pickup covers match the binding, the center of focus is not the binding, it's the center mass of the body.
You ever see someone who's Teeth are just too white for their face?   that's what those pichups look like.

The Guitar is awesome looking anyway. black pickup covers will look better.
Different taste guys...

I'm going to have to agree with the guys.

The spalt is one of the nicest I have seen and those very white covers take the eyes off of the wonderful spalt. I like Alfang's analogy.

Opinions are like a-holes, everyone's got one, there's mine.

New neck for my strat. Of the three FAT necks I have the strat neck was the fattest and was getting uncomfortable for me. Although it was the only one I had with a Brazilian RW board I decided to sell it and go for another neck. New one is my first showcase neck, the cost for neck + shipping was less than I sold the old neck! I wanted a Jazzmaster headstock but they are rare in the showcase so I decided to cut the cost and not do a custom order.

Old neck:
Indian RW / Br. RW
VM FAT
10.5 radius
graphite nut

New neck:
Maple / Pau Ferro
VM '59
9.5 radius
tusq nut

Both necks have Sperzel staggered locking tuners and SS6105 frets.

I like the feel of the '59 profile better although I would like it fatter in the first 5 frets. The sound has changed a little, it's more sparkling, more classic strat sound although the guitar sounded and still sounds like a strat. Best of all is the slight reshaping of the nut and a fret dress from my luthier. Add the fresh strings (best update for any guitar) and the guitar feels great in hand! After three unfinished necks I was sure I wanted a finished neck. I had tried two Warmoth maple necks of my friends and I knew Warmoth does a great finish. Actually this neck feels better from my RW neck. The RW was getting sticky after four years of use and needed oil.

I was worried about the '59 profile but it feels good and I think the neck will stay. A good change for my strat :icon_thumright:

picture053o.jpg

img0910h.jpg

img0857yv.jpg

img0856w.jpg

Back