Mustang Time

Verne Bunsen

There's nothing quite like the arrival of a couple of boxes from Warmoth...

20151001_182803.small.jpeg

This build is actually for a friend of mine, but after seeing the contents of said boxes I was contemplating telling him they were lost in the mail or eaten by coyotes or something...

20151001_183557.small.jpeg

20151001_183105.small.jpeg

20151001_183141.small.jpeg

The body is Alder finished in Lake Placid Blue with a Daphne Blue competition stripe. The neck is Maple with Indian Rosewood fingerboard and Abalone dots. And, clearly, a color-matched Lake Placid Blue pegface. The first thing I unpacked was the neck and I almost choked on my tongue when I saw the headstock. The finish is truly amazing, Warmoth has done themselves proud! A build thread will be appearing shortly.

Update: The build thread is started here: http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=25643.0

Fantastic! We need more Mustangs, more stripes, more metallic and candy finishes, and definitely more painted headstocks. Just more...

A waterslide decal would will look great on that headstock.

But maybe I'm biased.

DSCF0204.jpg

Well, funny you should mention... It is a work in progress, just started spraying it today, but behold: rebneF!

20151001_203929.small.jpeg

The idea was to capture the aesthetic of the headstock on a lefty Competition Mustang, which used a trimmed down Mustang Bass decal, like so:

KDC%20Headstock.small.jpeg

After much brainstorming and 2 (or maybe 3) pitchers, we came up with this idea. And I think it's awesome! Now finding a reverse printed late 60's Mustang Bass decal, that took some doing. I'd like nothing more than to sing the praises of the guy who did this decal up for me, on account of he did a fantastic job, but he specifically requested that I not ever mention him anywhere, ever.

Cool concept, and nice implementation of the design. I agree, a headstock without a decal, or at least a logo of some kind, is only half finished.

Keep those pictures coming!

Back