Murphy - Photo Update 4/15/10

W

whyachi

You guys made this possible... thank you!

Custom Rosewood / Rosewood neck, SS6105 frets, no inlays
Black TUSQ nut
Hipshot 3/8 Ultralite tuners

Showcase P body, swamp ash in Sonic Blue
Tort PG
Badass II bridge
"Zebra" Duncan Quarter Pound pickups
280k vol pot [LINK], 250k tone, .047 paper-in-oil cap and Switchcraft jack

Ernie Ball Coated Slinkys

Logan and I thank you - me for the bass, and her for giving me one less thing to worry about.

I've spent a few minutes with this "monster bass" as the tech called it - Murphy is a BEAST. Bumps and all, wouldn't change a thing. I know the zebra pickup covers didn't have too many fans but its quirky and damnit, its my bass and I love it.

Looks great.

280K volume?
Was that the actual reading? Sounds like it's within a 20% tolerance, but exceeds a 10% tolerance rating.

0.47uF sounds pretty damn dark? Or did you mean 0.047uF?

Yeah its .047, sorry. I didn't take a reading off the pot, but its made specifically for volume pots and Tonar puts them in the basses he makes so I decided to try it out.

knucklehead G said:
Yeah its .047, sorry. I didn't take a reading off the pot, but its made specifically for volume pots and Tonar puts them in the basses he makes so I decided to try it out.

Hmm, I doubt it if you could hear that small of a difference from 250K, especially given variances in tolerance.
Is it linear or audio?
Linear taper volume pots work much better on basses. (But audio on guitars, when you are running through distortions.)

Sorry, I get really picky about electronics, because I spend most of my time on TalkBass helping out in the electronics forum. :blob7:

knucklehead G said:
Logan and I thank you - me for the bass, and her for giving me one less thing to worry about.

I've spent a few minutes with this "monster bass" as the tech called it - Murphy is a BEAST. Bumps and all, wouldn't change a thing. I know the zebra pickup covers didn't have too many fans but its quirky and damnit, its my bass and I love it.

I noticed that you had more views on the picture of your fiancee than the picture of yourself.  :laughing7:

Looks great though.
The Rosewood goes great with the blue, it's a very classy look.

line6man said:
I noticed that you had more views on the picture of your fiancee than the picture of yourself.  :laughing7:

FWIW, I looked at both but the one with the fiance is a better picture of the bass.

To Knuck-G, that is complimentary to the "Weezer" Strat.  Vintage color, tort PG, contrasting pickup covers.  This Sims one is still on the way?  It's orange, right?

line6man said:
knucklehead G said:

Hmm, I doubt it if you could hear that small of a difference from 250K, especially given variances in tolerance.
Is it linear or audio?
Linear taper volume pots work much better on basses. (But audio on guitars, when you are running through distortions.)

Sorry, I get really picky about electronics, because I spend most of my time on TalkBass helping out in the electronics forum. :blob7:

Its this one, and I really just did it because Tonar does and it was only a few dollars difference: http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=45_65&products_id=333

line6man said:
knucklehead G said:

I noticed that you had more views on the picture of your fiancee than the picture of yourself.  :laughing7:

Looks great though.
The Rosewood goes great with the blue, it's a very classy look.

She always gets all of the attention.  :icon_scratch:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
line6man said:
I noticed that you had more views on the picture of your fiancee than the picture of yourself.  :laughing7:

FWIW, I looked at both but the one with the fiance is a better picture of the bass.

To Knuck-G, that is complimentary to the "Weezer" Strat.  Vintage color, tort PG, contrasting pickup covers.  This Sims one is still on the way?  It's orange, right?

The Weezer Strat is what inspired color scheme, actually. http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=10638.msg162951#msg162951

Sims has been given ten days to respond to the Better Business Bureau at the moment, and thus far we are four days in and have heard nothing. It will be this color, if I get it back.

knucklehead G said:
Its this one, and I really just did it because Tonar does and it was only a few dollars difference: http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=45_65&products_id=333

Looks interesting.  I'll have to try one of those.  I wonder what "custom taper" they use. 

Congrats on the bass!  It's been a privilege to help this dream come true.

It turned out fantastic. Even the zebra thing looks ok to me now that it's finished. :)
Now go and make your dreams come true!

Not sure how this thread got locked.. I don't think I did it. Mods?

Anyways, proper photo time! With a real camera!

My kid sister wanted in on the act.. check out her bass face!  :headbang:

That's one cool sis.  :icon_thumright:

One suggestion though:
If you want to do a pool/lake/sea shot, show the whole bass and leave that mug out of the picture if you ever want to win the guitar of the month competition. It's not that just any water will do.  :icon_tongue: :toothy12:  :toothy10:

Back