Most sustain out of strat body

blimpo said:
How 'bout that fat finger?

Anybody tried it?

I have a few of em, makes a surprisingly audible difference on an accoustic, I remain unsure of it's effect on an electric (but I use it anywas because why not?). It also seems to bring out more lows/low mids... but that could be my imagination.

kboman said:
>JR< said:
I heard that the color red sustains the longest

Nah, you've got to go black for that.

From the master of sustain himself, Nigel Tufnel:
"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

Years ago, when I was a little more afflicted with G.A.S. than I am now, I was really into the idea of sustain.  Nowadays I'm more curious about why exactly...sustain is very easy to achieve with the right combination of playing technique and amp/effects settings, and more often than not what I'm really after is tonal character, and the more I play funk style guitar of late, the less sustain matters anyway!

I don't think there's a magic wood that will give you infinite sustain...I think its a matter of technique, mostly, and some of the most eloquent guitar lines on record with bluesy, weepingly long sustain are often performed on guitars that we would disdain as not particularly "sustainy".  How the fingers interact with the strings, the interaction of the amp feeding back into the pickups, things like that are much more important than what wood the body is made out of, IMO.

rockskate4x said:
If you want sustain don't go with a strat. GET AN EXPLORER!!! I played an epi explorer next to a gibby LP and it DESTROYED it in sustain.

As long as you don't mind the shape it should be more than awesome...

I'm not a fan of radical shapes, but I loved the feel and sound I got out of it...

This is more proof that the child company's quality is surpasing the parent company's.  It could also be the mother-nature/lucky cut of wood variable.  That being said, LPs being known for sustain, a friend of mine has a '52 RI Tele, American Standard Tele, and LP Custom made in the 80s.  Guess which one sustained the best?  It wasn't the Gibby.

Best sustain I ever heard from a strat was a 5.7lb Mahogany Carvin bolt body.

Back