Most stable neck wood besides roasted maple?

Ghostnote

I live in the tropics so I want a neck that's resistant to high humidity and require little to no adjustment after set up. I'm thinking of making 2 builds - one with roasted maple and the other goncalo alves, which I've heard is very stable.

Has anyone tried Warmoth's other options that are more stable than GA?

I've taken different guitars all over the world, from the humid tropics to the north country,  the neck was never a problem.  They've been in dry airplane cabins, to the beach. to the rainforest to the desert ..  Let's see ... the neck woods would've been ... plain unroasted maple, finished of course and mahogany, and again finished.  Oh yeah ... sapale too.  Yep ... no problems with those woods. 

In terms of unfinished woods, why don't you pick a wood that comes from you're part of the world ... GA would be nice, another brazilian member here likes canary.  I heard if you ask Warmoth they might even have brazilian ebony.  You got lots of options.

And what's more stable?
Warmoth won't sell you a neck that's unstable.  Probably living in the tropics and never taking your guitar anywhere would make the neck more stable ... if it's always hot and humid it's always going to be the same, right?  Unless you use airconditioning. 

A couple things here:
1) too dry is more detrimental than too wet. At least as far as the air is concerned.
Liquid water of course can screw up just about anything.

2) not that I'd expect trouble from anything, but if it did matter, the super dry roast wood is actually likely to absorb moisture in a humid climate

3) much of the southern us is in similar humidity, if not temperature. I think tropical might be a concern with biological issues, but for a guitar in a house it's unlikely to be an issue.

all of my necks from Warmoth have been stable, and I have had a lot.  I would say my GA and wenge have been super with the vintage-modern truss.  Neither have a finish.  My very 1st Warmoth neck was a birdseye maple with rosewood in a super thin WIZARD profile.  It had the double expanding truss and HAS NOT MOVED since I set it up.  I live in Pittsburgh PA so it experiences super humid summers and super dry winters.  My lesser guitar (older Gibsons lol) tend to bow during the winter months.  IF you want stabilities go with the DA truss.  It adds a slight bit of weight to the neck but nothing obscene.

I do wish Wamroth would offer 3- or 5-piece necks for guitars. I loved the stability and looks of some of my past Rics and "Hippie Sandwich" '70s guitars.

DMRACO said:
all of my necks from Warmoth have been stable, and I have had a lot.  I would say my GA and wenge have been super with the vintage-modern truss.  Neither have a finish.  My very 1st Warmoth neck was a birdseye maple with rosewood in a super thin WIZARD profile.  It had the double expanding truss and HAS NOT MOVED since I set it up and it is 15+ years old.  I live in Pittsburgh PA so it experiences super humid summers and super dry winters.  My lesser guitar (older Gibsons lol) tend to bow during the winter months.  IF you want stabilities go with the DA truss.  It adds a slight bit of weight to the neck but nothing obscene.

By DA truss you mean Modern Construction neck?

DMRACO said:
all of my necks from Warmoth have been stable, and I have had a lot.  I would say my GA and wenge have been super with the vintage-modern truss.  Neither have a finish.  My very 1st Warmoth neck was a birdseye maple with rosewood in a super thin WIZARD profile.  It had the double expanding truss and HAS NOT MOVED since I set it up.  I live in Pittsburgh PA so it experiences super humid summers and super dry winters.  My lesser guitar (older Gibsons lol) tend to bow during the winter months.  IF you want stabilities go with the DA truss.  It adds a slight bit of weight to the neck but nothing obscene.

Ghostnote said:
By DA truss you mean Modern Construction neck?

Yes. Modern Construction necks are the most stable neck in the biz.

rick2 said:
I heard if you ask Warmoth they might even have brazilian ebony.

I got a quartersawn Brazilian Ebony Precision Bass neck (with Brazilian Ebony fretboard) from Warmoth two or three years ago. It's probably too soon to tell, but so far it seems rock solid and hasn't budged at all throughout all the humid summer/dry winter typical NorthEast USA seasons.

Back