More Wiring stuff....

-CB-

Epic Member
This is something that I've done on  the last three guitars I've built/reworked.  If there's space... this makes pickup changes and other changes a SNAP.  In fact literally you could snap a 1/4 spade lug onto those projections, and wire thru the lower eyes, making pickup swaps a matter of ZERO soldering.  But I don't do that.  This just allows future changes, special switching, etc etc etc... to work well, and easier. 
IMG_0894.gif

The other thing I normally do is connect the end lugs with a bit of wire (insulated) thru the lower eyes, effectively setting up a ground buss (a good thing).

Hey CB, that is a sweet Idea right there, good thinkin, I'll be using that in the future.
Where did ya get the strip from??

IMG_0894-1.gif

Red, White, Blue (or whatever) and Green from toggle.  Red and Blue are signal from pickups to toggle.  White is return.  Green is toggle ground.  I dont like to use the "bare" ground on the Tele... as shoving that switch thru the F hole and you might end up with bare hitting signal... I suppose I could shrink wrap, but the green wire is available, so I just use that.

Yellow connects to white (switch return) then to volume pot... eventually to tone controls...

Black is output.

Other green is a way to make a buss of both ends of things.

I can connect a cap from the signal of the volume pot to the middle control.  Cap from tone pot to ground.  Inductor (black cube) from middle lug of tone control to ground.  Done!~

The pickup leads are show in two colors of grey and a white "lead".  The darker color grey is the shrink wrap tubing that slides over it... so there's no way you can short the braid to signal.  Gibby does that, so the braid cant hit the toggle in SG's... ES-335's etc etc

Here it is (again) on Vic's Tele.
IMG_9702.jpg

Wired.  Ready for pickups and switch wires.

IMG_0900.gif

From left to right - ground, neck hot, switch return, bridge hot, ground.  Unseen is the connection for the two "end" grounds.

Royalties?  Hmmmm.  I'll let ya have it at the same rate NASA paid, when they used it in the Challenger, and Columbia.... and Apollo XIII before that.  FREE!~  (and fully worth the price paid!)

The MIDDLE control.

The inductor, shunted to ground through the potentiometer, controls how much "top end" is retained.  The series capacitor controls how much low is retained.    Values of 1.85Hy and .022 seem to work well.  If you add inductance, you keep more top end - but much above 2-2.5 Hy, and you start to get into fundamental notes, and it sounds weird.  Smaller capacitors than .022 keep less low end in the circuit.  No capacitor and you roll the entire low end off.  So if you have a really heavy toned pickup, you can "sweeten" it with say 1.85Hy and only .01 or .005 capacitor.  Also of note - the inductor is really TWO inductors back to back wound, in series, and thus totally hum free.  The DC resistance is abuot 55ohms, quite low.

Treble control is standard fare.

Looks nice and clean. I was searching ebay one night for loaded pickguards and there was one person that was selling them but he didn't solder anything to the pots or switches he used a plug-in connector male or female where needed. I wish I wrote down his user ID.

That's a seriously great idea. Because of tradition (or something) most diagrams show all the grounds going to the pots, but if you're fiddling around with a Superswitch or some other rocket science stuff, you can easily generate a dozen ground wires alone - that's a pot-fryer for sure. Also if you want to keep changing capacitor values around just to see what happens (WHO would ever do that?! :eek:) this kind of idea looks like a great way to keep heat away from the pots. Each pot shell really only need to be grounded once it's own self. On my last voodoo-rewire of my so-called "Tele" with a Superswitch I ended up just sinking a little eyebolt into the side of the cavity, running all 17 ground wires to it (!), heating the jeebers out of it with a big 140w gun and soldering them all into a gob.

Edit - Hey CB, where DID you get that little strip device? I don't know what to call it, so my searches aren't working. I don't know if you've ever dealt with a "Superswitch":
http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-3200.html

There's an amazing amount of options you can wire up with one, but the size of the thing makes working on it beastly - it would be a lot easier to pull some of the wires out to one of those strips, to make certain parts of it easier.

www.tubesandmore.com sells 'em.

surplus sales of nebraska has em

mouser has em

my local old time electronics shop had em (till they went bust)

Back