More back contours for 24 3/4" scale necks!

Ace Flibble

I'm this close to ordering an SG body and neck but I really want a Clapton soft V neck contour on a 24-3/4" scale neck - enough said!

C'mon Warmoth, surely there's a way to engineer the other special contours onto the 24 3/4" scale necks.

I would like to mention that it might be more wise to go with a 25.5'' neck. With a 24.75'', the bridge pickup is not on the most ideal spot, but a bit more towards the neck, so you kinda miss out the great harmonics you get on that spot. with a 25.5'' it is on the right location. Just a very minor, but important detail.

this is due to the fact that the bodies are routed already for a 25.5'' and the 24.75'' are really, conversions. it works, no intonationproblems, and if you can live with that, no biggy. I have 3 of such guitars, and I have no problems, but it is something worth thinking over. what do you want more, 24.75'' with a neckback 'kinda' what you like, or 25.5'' with what you want?

ps: one more thing: why not take a 24.75'' with a fatback, and have a luthier reshape it? if you have a neck that needs no finish, its a super-easy job, and most likely, dirt cheap. My luthier/painter/inlayer-dude did it for...

free!!

(but then again, its not fair, cause he's a friend of mine).

you kinda miss out the great harmonics you get on that spot. with a 25.5'' it is on the right location. Just a very minor, but important detail.

Except then you fret a string, and the theory goes to pieces.... so play all open strings? As everyone knows, the 12th and 24th frets are at nodes of the strings where they're actually vibrating the least. In my opinion 22 and 21 fret necks are popular because:

1) the intonation, action and just plain straightness get progressively more difficult when you get way up high - the truss rods don't reach under there, so you have to grind in some "fall-away" when you level your frets.
2) really short string lengths don't actually sound that good, tonally;
3) you get to make excruciated, constipato guitar faces when you manfully bend up to that high E.

FaceWalsh.jpg

Okay... kind of missed the point a bit there. It's not about a 24.75" scale neck 'with kind of' what I want, it's about getting a 24.75" scale neck with what I want :icon_biggrin:

Though for what it's worth, I play rhythm and I find 25.5" scale necks uncomfortable to play on since the lower frets are that bit further apart. So that's why I'm after 24.75" necks. Also harmonics are of little relevance to me. Didn't know about the bridge pickup being closer to the neck, and in fact thinking about it that sounds more preferable.

Getting a neck reshaped also plain isn't an option for me, so that's that one.

Ace Flibble said:
Okay... kind of missed the point a bit there. It's not about a 24.75" scale neck 'with kind of' what I want, it's about getting a 24.75" scale neck with what I want :icon_biggrin:

Though for what it's worth, I play rhythm and I find 25.5" scale necks uncomfortable to play on since the lower frets are that bit further apart. So that's why I'm after 24.75" necks. Also harmonics are of little relevance to me. Didn't know about the bridge pickup being closer to the neck, and in fact thinking about it that sounds more preferable.

:icon_scratch: I find I need more finger room in the 25.5" necks. I can't imagine it's more comfortable chording on closer frets.

Max said:
Ace Flibble said:

:icon_scratch: I find I need more finger room in the 25.5" necks. I can't imagine it's more comfortable chording on closer frets.
I like the 24.75" better than my 25 1/2'', it's easier to bend.

Max, maybe you need a wider neck, not a longer one? Unless you have monster hands....
The scale length questions is pure personal preference anyhow. And seriously if you find 24.75 too floppy, go up 1/2 size of string, or if it's hard to bend a 25.5, get 1/2 size smaller or tune to Eb.
I would also like to see all the contours for 24.75, but on the other hand, the 59 is maybe my favorite anyhow and they do offer that one.

Oh, my next guitar will probably have a wider neck, since up at the top of the neck, I like more room. My acoustic is nice that way, even if it's pretty crappy every other way :p

Thicker neck, too.

Back