More 7 string options!

Jigsisme

I'm itching for a soloist archtop 7 string with a Jackson style reverse headstock...give us more seven string options!

Every time people whine about seven string options, folks talk about volume. I dunno why, sevens can be just as loud.  :icon_biggrin:

It occurs to me that.. a way to increase volume would be to cross polinate - make the seven string pocket an option on all guitar bodies and the seven string body an option on six string pockets. It's a very cool body - a lot of the ergo design features of the Z without the funky spawn of Steinberger/Parker vibe - honestly I think it's as cool as the soloist body is.

swarfrat said:
It occurs to me that.. a way to increase volume would be to cross polinate - make the seven string pocket an option on all guitar bodies and the seven string body an option on six string pockets. It's a very cool body - a lot of the ergo design features of the Z without the funky spawn of Steinberger/Parker vibe - honestly I think it's as cool as the soloist body is.

The latter has been done before.  I chatted with Wyliee about building a body that way, before I decided to go a different direction on my own guitar project.  There is an upcharge of around $100 to route the neck pocket by hand.  It would be nice to see that go down and make cross-pollination easier to achieve (i.e. CNC).

Jigsisme said:
I'm itching for a soloist archtop 7 string with a Jackson style reverse headstock...give us more seven string options!

I agree a 7 string soloist and 7 string Arcade neck would be awesome!

swarfrat said:
It occurs to me that.. a way to increase volume would be to cross polinate - make the seven string pocket an option on all guitar bodies

This is already sorta possible: get a superwide neck (fits standard strat pocket), go for the custom option to get the 7 string headstock, get any body without the bridge rout & do it yourself, or pay W to custom rout it for a 7 string bridge.  You'd also need to either get 7 string pu routs, or get rail pickups to cover all the strings.  Depending on the bridge, the string spacing would be tight enough for most rail humbuckers to cover it.

Voila: 25.5" scale 7 string!  Ok, there's lots of drawbacks with that, but it's still an option.  If I had anything close to the need for a 7 and/or the budget, I'd build a 7 string Musiclander faster than John Petrucci can play a 16th note.

All I ever wanted is a 7 string strat. Like a *real* one, with the fender headstock, and a 25.5" scale. Not a modded super-wide or some other jimmy rigged solution. Seriously. I can't think of any company out there that could build a better one either. I LOVE the neck on my 7s. Heck I'd buy 3-4 of them in different configurations if they ever did this haha. Oh well, one can dream.

Well, you can rule out a 7 string headstock coming from Warmoth with the traditional Fender shape.
It would violate their licensing agreement, that's why you only see such a headstock coming from Fender, and that was short lived.

You could order the paddle head & trace a Strat head onto it.  I considered that before building my baritone.

Warmoth will always prove us wrong as well.  They are limited to what they can do with the Fender stuff, but back when they were still doing the Gibson shapes, they did a 7 string Explorer as a custom order.  Call em.  There's options, and there's options.

Back