Mooncaster over Clearwater (FL)...

jimhelmuth

My first Warmouth build... a chambered (no f holes) Mooncaster. So I've ordered the body and neck (see inserted pics), but thought I'd share this as the build happens / progresses (and that ought to be sometime in May if I understand the lead times) - but hey; lots of other thing to consider and I'm always interested in other folks thoughts and ideas.

So here is the body and neck renderings...

Mooncaster body.png
Maple core - quilted top - chambered without f holes ivoryoid binding - filtertron (no ears) routings for neck and bridge pups
warmouth neck.png
birdseye maple neck and fretboard - split diamond markers - jumbo SS frets

Last edited:
510UB-CKCosmoBlackBridgeGuitarTemplates-BrisbaneWarehouse.jpg

Bridge: Gotoh Wrap-around hardtail (all parts will be chromed)

...now things I'm considering or debating:

Wiring: Gibson style (possibly splitting coils) - gives most options.

or... something more "Gretsch" like (and purpose built for these TV Jones pups)

lighter

Thoughts? (thinking I might try 1M pots - certainly at least on the master tone)

Last edited:
You will like those Setzers. Had a White Falcon with Classics that I traded for a few items. One being a Setzer Hot Rod. Yep I like the pups better than the Classics.

You will like those Setzers. Had a White Falcon with Classics that I traded for a few items. One being a Setzer Hot Rod. Yep I like the pups better than the Classics.
Yes... I've use them (before) in a Tele. My favorite pup (with the Rickenbacker Toasters being a close 2nd)
Actually... I only have used the Setzer Bridge (in the Tele) with a Std. Vintage Gretsch Filtertron in the Neck. But this time I want to go with a full set of Setzers as they have a very slight fuller bottom but retain the jangle in the top of the spectrum (at least that is my sonic opinion).
I'm really kinda excited too about the pup route on them. I really lean towards a minimalist look.

Last edited:
Looking snazzy, fellow Clearwaterite!

As far as wiring scheme, personally I don't find coil splits all that useful as they're usually pretty weak/not that great sounding unless you've got some pretty high output pickups.

My favorite wiring scheme is Volume Tone Basscut as found on some G&L and Reverend guitars. Since you have four knob holes it could be master volume, independent tones, and master bass cut. But that's just me. ;)

You're gonna like the bridge and tuners. I have cosmo black versions of both.

The bridge is super comfy and adjustable as all get out. Order a 14" radius on the neck to match it.

The tuners work great, but are a little clunky in use compared to the thumb wheel version.

Great choice on the warmoth headstock too! That happens to be my favorite that they offer.

25.5 or 24.75" scale?

You're gonna like the bridge and tuners. I have cosmo black versions of both.

The bridge is super comfy and adjustable as all get out. Order a 14" radius on the neck to match it.

The tuners work great, but are a little clunky in use compared to the thumb wheel version.

Great choice on the warmoth headstock too! That happens to be my favorite that they offer.

25.5 or 24.75" scale?
I'm sticking with the 25.5" scale.

Looking snazzy, fellow Clearwaterite!

As far as wiring scheme, personally I don't find coil splits all that useful as they're usually pretty weak/not that great sounding unless you've got some pretty high output pickups.

My favorite wiring scheme is Volume Tone Basscut as found on some G&L and Reverend guitars. Since you have four knob holes it could be master volume, independent tones, and master bass cut. But that's just me. ;)
I'm going to look that up. Bass cut sounds very interesting (and something I'd probably use). I can certainly add a hole for that switch (I assume its a switch) if I like it. Great suggestion!

I'm going to look that up. Bass cut sounds very interesting (and something I'd probably use). I can certainly add a hole for that switch (I assume its a switch) if I like it. Great suggestion!
Bass cut can be a switch (either push/pull or mini) or a pot.

The switch (yamaha uses this on their revstars) sorta works like a series parallel switch. It thins out the bass, which works great for reliving high gain mud.

The pot version is a variable version of that.

I've used both, and prefer the ease and simplicity of the switched version.
I found the taper of the 1 meg pot to not be even, fwiw.

Thanks Waraxe.... appreciate your input. I did notice that (to my initial surprise) once I looked into it, the bass cut was implemented as a POT. Doesn't mean it could not be a switch - but something I'll need to consider more (albeit I'm leaning towards a switch). Were you using the 1 Meg in conjunction with the FIltertrons?

Makes me think now.... maybe use push/pull on the Master Tone to select between bass cut and "normal" tone (IE - bleed highs off to ground)?

Love this forum - you all come up with some great ideas!

I’m a big fan of bass cuts. I use a 1meg pot and a 2200pf capacitor, but that’s just my preference. I’m also using a linear taper pot as well because I find that it makes the range a little more meaningful.

Such great information here! I completely missed thinking about a case for this build - but a little searching and I was able to locate this at my local Guitar Center...
H68763000000000-04-720x720.jpg

Road Runner RRMEG ABS Molded Electric Guitar Case $119.99​

Item#:1287277337315

Note: Follow up on this case.... the neck doesn't lay perfectly in the case due to the tilted back headstock. It's not major (and is close enough), but adding some additional padding along the neck channel raises the neck enough to allow for the headstock to not ride hard into the case back. I do believe you could also do some judicious surgery on the inside case back liner so that there is some relief right where the headstock would touch. Again... it's not awful or unusable - just a bit "tight".

Last edited:
Back