Mono Jack vs. Stereo Jack

shaneman

I was wondering if I should install a mono jack or a stereo jack.  Is the wiring different?  How does one use a stereo jack in the real world?  Thanks, Shane :guitaristgif:

You would need a stereo plug, and the first component that the cable is pluged into would need to be a stereo device, and I dont mean a stereo output like a delay, or chorus pedal, which takes a mono in and stereo out, it's gotta be a real stereo input.

You can get a stereo cable and use a "Y" splitter, then you have two signal paths, perhaps one to left side effects, and the other to right side effects or dry

You kind of need a guitar setup that OUTPUTS in stereo, else there's no sense in installing a stereo jack; like active stereo PUs; additional piezo bridge pickup, or wiring like on an ES345TD

a stereo jack can be used to turn on an active pre-amp when utilizing a mono cord

since my active bass builds are about 50% of the work I do, I only keep stereo jacks in stock and utilize them even if the bass doesn't have active electronics

if you wire things properly there is no harm utilizing a stereo jack for a mono application with a mono cord

all the best,

R

You could, in theory, wire your neck pup to one output and your bridge to the other, or some other ingenious arrangement.  They're also used to simultaneously output piezo and regular signals from the same guitar.  Either way you use a Y cable to split the two signals, and you could use different amps / effects chains for lots of interesting possibilities, I guess. I'm a few weeks away from doing the piezo thing on my first W.

The ES-345/ES-355 uses two output jacks.  One for mono, one for stereo.  The mono jack is a switched one that closes the two pickup circuits together on plug insertion.

Some guitars - actually had split pickups, and wired the bass strings to one jack, and treble to another.  You can do this with Fender "Humbucking" (the big ones).  Also Fralins P92 works with dual coils in that manner.  Its also possible with the Pbass pickup.

i pretty much always use stereo jacks on mods and builds.....but that split wiring CB mentioned sounds pretty interesting.... :icon_scratch:

I don't think it was mentioned here so I'm going to say it for those who don't know.  You can substitute a stereo jack for a mono jack.  You just don't use the ring terminal.

-CB- said:
The ES-345/ES-355 uses two output jacks.  One for mono, one for stereo.  The mono jack is a switched one that closes the two pickup circuits together on plug insertion.

Some guitars - actually had split pickups, and wired the bass strings to one jack, and treble to another.  You can do this with Fender "Humbucking" (the big ones).  Also Fralins P92 works with dual coils in that manner.   Its also possible with the Pbass pickup.

I just learned something, thanks CB. Is that why Rickenbacker basses have two output jacks?

Back