Modified Clone

P

ptirman

I lost my Zebracaster in the fire that burned down my house 2 years ago (almost 2 years, November 9th, 2018, So. California). A few weeks ago, I was perusing the showcase after nearly a whole bottle of wine, minding my own business, feeling sorry for myself when I came upon a quartersawn (I think) Zebrawood laminate on a chambered vintage white mahogany Strat body. Could this be? Almost exactly like mine that I had custom made from the ground up 10 years ago (50th birthday present). Surely they (Warmoth) saw mine and said, "Dayum, that thing is arrsome". At least that what I want to think.

They had 2 or 3 to choose from in the showcase.

What goes well with zebrawood? Light brown with stripes so I got a showcase Goncalvo Alves neck because I have always wanted a raw neck.

et voila, Genetically Modified Zebracaster clone. My 60th birthday present to myself.

Attachments

• Zebracaster Big Brother.jpg
    Zebracaster Big Brother.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 414
  • Got back.jpg
    Got back.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 283
A fortuitous find  :icon_thumright:

I remember a post about the fire you mentioned it doesn't seem nearly two years ago but it must be...

My 60th is closing in fairly soon too in November, where does the time go?

stratamania said:
A fortuitous find  :icon_thumright:

I remember a post about the fire you mentioned it doesn't seem nearly two years ago but it must be...

My 60th is closing in fairly soon too in November, where does the time go?

Indeed, I woke up in February and realized I was in my 7th decade. Things are definitely looking up though. Everyday is a gift, especially with a nice guitar to play.

Rgand said:
Nice grab. That will be a spectacular build. Congrats.

Thanks! this one will have SD buckers in it. Can't wait to make some progress.

rick2 said:
That is an awesome birthday present!

Why not live a little?  :headbang:

That's really cool, and it must be fate..  You really weren't left with much of a choice...  You had to get it.  I'm assuming the guitar that you lost was the one posted in your sig line (GOM).  That is a very unique combination, so finding another body like that so closely matching the original was definitely a sign. 

War_in_D said:
That's really cool, and it must be fate..  You really weren't left with much of a choice...  You had to get it.  I'm assuming the guitar that you lost was the one posted in your sig line (GOM).  That is a very unique combination, so finding another body like that so closely matching the original was definitely a sign.

I know right? Honestly I was blown away. I had told my wife the day before that there would be no more guitars! After 2 years our building permit finally came through. I used that as a distraction and tried to slip it in. Only a matter of time however, nothing gets past her. She very cool about my guitar obsession though I must say. We both needed something to be able to deal with all the insanity that comes with calamity.

Ric Moore said:
Ranch Fire in a Ventura/SB area?  Glad you found that beautiful guitar

Close but a little south from Ventura. It was the Woolsey Fire of Malibu.

I remember that zebra you built, was so cool. Too bad it was lost, but it looks like karma gave you a do-over... :headbang:

Re-Pete said:
It was meant to be.
Enjoy the guitar!

Thanks, kinda surreal honestly!

Logrinn said:
Wow, that is an absolutely stunning guitar!

Thanks,I think so. The round swirls make it look somewhat alien like (and no wine tonight)

DangerousR6 said:
I remember that zebra you built, was so cool. Too bad it was lost, but it looks like karma gave you a do-over... :headbang:

And you made an amazing neck plate for it. Not sure if you remember. How about firing up the neck plate maker for round 2?  :guitarplayer2:

DangerousR6 said:

And you made an amazing neck plate for it. Not sure if you remember. How about firing up the neck plate maker for round 2?  :guitarplayer2:
[/quote] :icon_thumright:

So cool! I remember those bodies hitting the showcase sort of recently. That Zebra/white combo is just killer.

Back