MIT Media Lab "Chameleon Guitar" project

Looks like it has some impressive engineering behind it, but it's so much easier to just keep a real acoustic around.

I don't really have a problem collecting lots of different guitars.  It's kind of cool looking though.  The body almost reminds me of a Dano or something. 

Interesting, but still a lot of circuitry to produce a "natural" sound. Seems counter intuitive to the average modeling guitar, where you have everything at your fingertips. Not a bad idea though, kind of like those amps with interchangeable modules.

It looks like you have to remove the strings in order to change the model. Not at all ideal. Just get synth mod of some sort if you really want that. Throw some Roland and Variax crap at that and see how it stands up to it.

Im not sure, but it looked like there was some sort of hinges on the backside that may allow for rear access to the chamber.

It sounds interesting, but I wonder where this technology will be applied when the r&d is over.  Will it still be a system or refined into a standalone modeler.

Sorry, this is just plain stupid to me.
The simplest design is always best, and this seems overly complicated.

line6man said:
Sorry, this is just plain stupid to me.
The simplest design is always best, and this seems overly complicated.

I have a feeling they are doing it for the science rather than to be efficient though.  It's MIT, they are nerds.

Back