Mini Marshall options?

bruzanhd

Looking for a mini practice amp to jam with friends, something portable and quiet is ideal. I'm currently using a Marshall MG50fx which is just too big and loud for my use. I've been looking into the DSL1CR and the DSL5C (the older non R version). I'd prefer the DSL1CR just because of how small it is but I'm not sure if the size will make it sound bad. Then again coming from the MG50fx, either would probably be an improvement. I've considered the JMP1C but I can't find them anywhere, I've also tried a boss katana and did not like it. For anyone who has used either of these two let me know how you felt about them. Also maybe there's other options I should consider?

For those purposes I use a black star fly 3. Also good for small barbecues. For playing, not grilling.
I worry that the 3" speaker would struggle to give a good sound when other guitars are playing along.

Looking for a mini practice amp to jam with friends, something portable and quiet is ideal. I'm currently using a Marshall MG50fx which is just too big and loud for my use. I've been looking into the DSL1CR and the DSL5C (the older non R version). I'd prefer the DSL1CR just because of how small it is but I'm not sure if the size will make it sound bad. Then again coming from the MG50fx, either would probably be an improvement. I've considered the JMP1C but I can't find them anywhere, I've also tried a boss katana and did not like it. For anyone who has used either of these two let me know how you felt about them. Also maybe there's other options I should consider?
The Marshall DSL!CR sounds good and is plenty loud for (Informal) non idiot loud drummer jams. I dig mine. However, a rehearsal would require a re ampMarshall madness.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The Marshall DSL!CR sounds good and is plenty loud for (Informal) non idiot loud drummer jams. I dig mine. However, a rehearsal would require a re ampView attachment 59423
Thank you spud. This is what I was hoping to hear. The drummer I play with rehearses with an electric kit so your review inspires confidence.

If you're not hung up on a combo, I've read good things about the new Soldano solid state SLO Mini 30 head. That and a 1x12 or 1x10 cab might be a cost-effective and lightweight solution. It has an FX loop if you want to run one.

I will say the clean channel is surprisingly good, as is the reverb (though the verb is a bit brightish) . Obvisously, it has no other effects. But there are tubes. It does have an effects loop.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about an SV20, you can run that at either 20 or 5W.
I’ve been considering one of those also for small gigs. But I wanted a plexi type tone for quiet practice in a small format. I’m leaning towards getting a 1 watt combo in addition to maybe a half stack later on or vice versa. Just trying to see what out there is really actually worth the money.

I’ve been considering one of those also for small gigs. But I wanted a plexi type tone for quiet practice in a small format. I’m leaning towards getting a 1 watt combo in addition to maybe a half stack later on or vice versa.

To me, the SV20 is a small format, but if you want even smaller and quieter at that point, I would be leaning more towards modellers as an option.
Just trying to see what out there is really actually worth the money.
As with all things, value is largely subjective.

Good luck on your search...

To me, the SV20 is a small format, but if you want even smaller and quieter at that point, I would be leaning more towards modellers as an option.

As with all things, value is largely subjective.

Good luck on your search...
Fair enough. I recently had a boss katana that I sold off. I end up spending 2 hours tinkering with tones when I use modellers so I just needed to limit my options. The SV20 is certainly a nice amp. I’m sure it’ll also sound worlds better than any 1 watt. Hopefully my quest will be completed tomorrow, and I can post an update.

I would say the DSL1CR sounds surprisingly good and is louder than expected. It has an emulated line out and an effects loop if you use a slave amp.

Well I ended up finding a JMP1C via a shot in the dark local ad. Great price, and I couldn’t refuse. Sounds incredible!

Attachments

• CC2E4A03-191F-4AEA-B8D3-E1E8CFEC5461.jpeg
    CC2E4A03-191F-4AEA-B8D3-E1E8CFEC5461.jpeg
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 6108F5BC-F444-4BF8-886C-F115E1361A37.jpeg
    6108F5BC-F444-4BF8-886C-F115E1361A37.jpeg
    697.4 KB · Views: 4
Back