Mini-humbuckers + Gotoh 12-string bridge

elliptic

I want to use some Lollar mini-humbuckers in a 12-string build but I'm concerned about the string spacing. The Gotoh 12-string bridge has a center-to-center spacing of 52.5mm but the mini-humbuckers are 1.95", which is about 49.5mm. The outer E-to-E spacing on the bridge is actually 55.5mm, so the outer E strings will each be about 3mm from the pole pieces.

I have a feeling this isn't a massive problem, but could it mean that the middle strings (D & G) are slightly louder than that outer strings?

Unfortunately Lollar don't make F-spacing versions of the minis, and I'm kinda set on them, I've had some in a Les Paul for over 10 years and I absolutely love them.

You could perhaps adjust the pole pieces and get something reasonable, or what may work in your Les Paul may well be different in a 12 string. Perhaps worth considering what material you will play on a 12 string versus an LP and whether other alternatives for pickups may be worth a look.

Are you saying that I should only look at pickups with Fender spacing? Because just about everything except Fender-style pickups has pretty much the same spacing, including nearly all regular humbuckers and P90s, give or take about half a millimetre.

I have a 1 3/4 neck with dimarzio a mini humbucker in the neck position and it sounds great. And no pole pieces. Did I mention it sounds great?

Are you saying that I should only look at pickups with Fender spacing? Because just about everything except Fender-style pickups has pretty much the same spacing, including nearly all regular humbuckers and P90s, give or take about half a millimetre.

You could look at F spaced, but there are also many pickups that do not have pole pieces. I would not wish to say what you should do, just suggest to perhaps consider different options if pole piece alignment is a major consideration.

For example, Aaron @aarontunes went with a Seymour Duncan JB Junior and Little 59 for the neck.

Pole pieces create a relatively wide magnetic field that the strings pass through, it is pretty forgiving on spacing. And, on mini-HB, the other pole is just one big steel bar. So I think you'll be fine. Personally, the mini-HB is probably the only HB I would consider for a 12-string, I prefer single coils because I find the wider spacing of full-size HBs tends to makes 12-strings muddy/phasey.

Gibson_Les_Paul_Deluxe_Mini-Humbuckers_%28Patent_No._2%2C737%2C842%29_rear_side_%26_cover_removed.jpg

Personally, the mini-HB is probably the only HB I would consider for a 12-string, I prefer single coils because I find the wider spacing of full-size HBs tends to makes 12-strings muddy/phasey.
My thoughts exactly. I'm going to be using it for a lot of different things, the combination of mini-hb and partial split I think will give me the flexibility I'm after.

Back