Midrange honk in new Weber speaker

slowpogo2021

I have a Mojotone Blackout Tweed (5E3 style) and just replaced the stock speaker with a Weber 12A125-A.

I know new speakers usually take a while to break in and tame the highs, especially. But this speaker has a notable midrange honk, a telephone effect of sorts. Is that normal as well for a new speaker?

I have experienced this too, yes.
The sound became much more pleasing after several hours of playing.

slowpogo2021 said:
I have a Mojotone Blackout Tweed (5E3 style) and just replaced the stock speaker with a Weber 12A125-A.

I know new speakers usually take a while to break in and tame the highs, especially. But this speaker has a notable midrange honk, a telephone effect of sorts. Is that normal as well for a new speaker?

Speaker tone is not a consistent thing between brands.
They all have a different character.
JBL sound different from Celetion and even different models of Celestion sound different from each other.

Break-in time will have a minimal effect compared to the make/model of the speaker.

Steve_Karl said:
slowpogo2021 said:

JBL sound different from Celetion and even different models of Celestion sound different from each other.

Break-in time will have a minimal effect compared to the make/model of the speaker.

I figured as much, and there's my own subjective taste to consider too. But this speaker has such a reputation as being the ideal match for a 5E3 circuit, I had to wonder if something's off. It would have to change substantially for me to like it at all.

slowpogo2021 said:
Steve_Karl said:
slowpogo2021 said:

I figured as much, and there's my own subjective taste to consider too. But this speaker has such a reputation as being the ideal match for a 5E3 circuit, I had to wonder if something's off. It would have to change substantially for me to like it at all.

There seem to be lots of notes out there about Webers needing many hours of break in.

Bare speakers are rarely returnable, so you may as well see if you can do a break in. For the speaker I just built, my plan is to run it in the attic at medium volume on a variety of music for a few hours on Xmas day (when, unless all precedent is broken, my gf and I will be the only occupied apartment in our small building).

I'm happy with the sounds I get, however there are some rough edges I think will take a long time to see gone at my usual practice volume.

Unfortunately I can't really do the break-in routine of playing a loop through it all day. Someone's always home in my household and the logistics just don't work out.

The amp's stock speaker got better over time but it never sounded this bad, even when spanking new. I might just try to sell the Weber if it's not getting better through regular play in a week or two. It's kinda torturous to play tbh

I'm mostly feeling like I should have left well enough alone. There's nothing WRONG with the stock speaker (Mojotone BVH-30) and I do get some great sounds out of it. I've just heard how amazing the Weber is for tweed amps for a long time and figured I'd do a "premium upgrade" after a good haul selling pedals. We'll see, I hope it surprises me eventually.

I've replaced two speakers in my life.  Replacements were the swamp thing and the other was cannibis rex.  Really love the swamp thing, still have it.  As to break in time?  After about 2 hours of playing, they were what they are.  Could it be that your speaker just sounds this way, with a mid range telephonic honk?   

As to returns, it depends on the merchant.  It's worth a call if you really think it sucks.

PS I did like the CR name.

I got it from an authorized dealer on reverb...I'm not sure what Weber would say other than remind me of the break-in period and refer me back to the dealer for returns. I doubt the speaker is broken or anything, I think it's just not my thing.

Weber Blue Dog........problem solved. Maybe a 30watt Ceramic. Also, keep in mind a tweed deluxe is mostly a mid range focused amp.

Back