middle pup for mustangs

Elfunkenstein

saw a pic of thurston moore from sonic youth playing a mustang with three pickups, so I made a mockup:

custommustangcopy.jpg

I think it looks sick and it's a pity that Warmoth doesn't offer this as an option

Well, the standard Warmoth is for two humbucker cavities, which lets you put two whatevers in there. It'd take an hour with a chisel, 20 minutes with a Dremel sanding drum, 5 minutes with a router to blow through the two cavities into a swimming pool route... how much money have you offered Warmoth so far? They love upcharges.....  :dontknow: By and by, the lower the sales volume on a body, the more they just want to chuck a board into the gizmo and sell it to you plain.

well I haven't offered any money yet, but you've got a good idea there, though I don't have any tools, I'm sure a decent chisel isn't to expensive.

Elfunkenstein said:
well I haven't offered any money yet, but you've got a good idea there, though I don't have any tools, I'm sure a decent chisel isn't to expensive.

No, no chisel.  I'm pretty sure Stubhead was joking about the chisel, but I'm not sure if you are.  Twist Warmoth's arm a little bit more, or find a guy that can do it, unless you want to buy two Mustang bodies.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Elfunkenstein said:

No, no chisel.  I'm pretty sure Stubhead was joking about the chisel, but I'm not sure if you are.  Twist Warmoth's arm a little bit more, or find a guy that can do it, unless you want to buy two Mustang bodies.

thank you so much for explaining that. I was serious.
<--is stupid

I've used a chisel for widening a pickup rout...but it was a $50 lap steel.  In general, not a great idea, but it can be done, albeit a bit messily!  :D

I could do a fine job, using the old carbon-steel chisels I inherited from my grandfather - but I know how to use them, I still have the toolbox my Dad made me when I was four. And yes, I like power tools, I've been using them since I was six or so....There's a skill set involved in anything, that's all. For me at least, it's often easier and faster just to cut/chisel/saw/sand wood with hand tools than it is to even figure the process using some combination of power tools. Plus, I LIKE making stuff with my hands.... It's easy to forget that Stradivarius, C.F. Martin etc. made what are now the world's most valuable instruments before there was ever electricity in shops. Gee, how?  :eek: It can be learned. I "wood" say (HAHAHAHAHA) :binkybaby:, if you can't (yet) sharpen a chisel so that it can easily shave hair off your arm, you shouldn't try to slice wood with it - cause it won't. (Gouge, hack, massacre come to mind....)

A little late, but back on topic...

Are you sure it wasnt a fender cyclone 2?:

http://www.jag-stang.com/News/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/cyclone2blue.jpg

Very hard to find at the moment, I have a friend who's looking for one. They have three jaguar pickups, complete with the metal casing that you get in jaguars, so it sounds a lot like them. If memory serves, they also have a floating trem, like strats.

Please let me know if anyone finds one.

Thanks.

Back