Microphones for home recording

nathan a

I need help choosing microphones! Have done lots of recording on the computer using Audacity and Samson C01u and C03u USB mics, but now I am looking for XLR mics for non-computer recording, and figured you guys could recommend some good stuff.

Important stuff:
- I like simple.
- I also like cheap.
- I have an SM57 and a Tascam Portastudio 414 MkII, which is a 4-track tape recorder. I have used these for solo guitar stuff, but I want to supplement this gear with more mics so I can record with the band.

I want to be able to record instruments and vocals all live at the same time, on separate tracks. Usually, would probably be recording two voices and two instruments at the same time, each with its own mic.

Instruments to be recorded:
-voice. no low voices here, in case that is important
-acoustic guitars
-piano (acoustics, not electric keyboards)
-banjo
-occasional electric guitar (i know the SM57 is fine for this).

SO, I want suggestions for mics that can cover these needs. Versatility is important! Thanks guys  :eek:ccasion14:

nathana said:
I need help choosing microphones! Have done lots of recording on the computer using Audacity and Samson C01u and C03u USB mics, but now I am looking for XLR mics for non-computer recording, and figured you guys could recommend some good stuff.

Important stuff:
- I like simple.
- I also like cheap.
- I have an SM57 and a Tascam Portastudio 414 MkII, which is a 4-track tape recorder. I have used these for solo guitar stuff, but I want to supplement this gear with more mics so I can record with the band.

I want to be able to record instruments and vocals all live at the same time, on separate tracks. Usually, would probably be recording two voices and two instruments at the same time, each with its own mic.

-acoustic guitars
-banjo

SO, I want suggestions for mics that can cover these needs. Versatility is important! Thanks guys  :eek:ccasion14:

Oh man, there's so many variables and no single answer to that one. SM57s are as close to a 'jack of all trades, master of none' mic as you are gonna get.  I have used SM57s for Guitar, snare, hi hat.  For bass and or bass drum recording an AKG D112 is a great choice. The rest of your needs I do not have a recommendation, I have used all kinds of different things over the years. Your recording is going to be subject to your entire signal path. You will need better mic pres, phantom power for any condenser mics( I use AKG C451EBs) for drum overheads, compression...... it never ends.....

The Audix i-5 is pretty killer for snare and guitar...

I have a set Superlux DRK AC32's, I had originally bought them to mic my drums. But they work well for other instuments. And 2 PRA 268A's, these are similar to a SM 81..And they were cheap too...  :hello2:

DRKA5C2MAX.jpg

I think the AKG 'perception' line is really good value for condenser mics. I've used a few of them. Right now I have the small-diaphragm one that is really good at capturing crisp highs (ie acoustic guitar dynamics). I use a Beta 58a for all vocals and for micing my cabinet. I am not convinced that you need a large diaphragm condenser for vocals, the beta is quiet and suits my own voice well. I have a few others but those are my faves. I would also say that picking mics is just like choosing pickups, there are many good choices that just boil down to the sound you want rather than any 'quality' issue. Most people will probably recommend whatever they're using, just like I did. If you have a soprano singer or something, I'll bet some other combination is best.

I would really recommend getting your mics used so that you don't lose a bunch when you resell them looking for the right sound - they are not returnable in music stores anyhow.

Since you already have a cardioid dynamic mic (SM57), anything else in the dynamic world is just a variation on that.  More lows, less highs, better suited for kick drum, etc.  But basically you're best sticking with the SM57.

My recommendation would be to get a decent condenser mic.  It really depends on your budget though.  Audio Technica makes some good stuff in the $500 range.  My first recommendation would be an AKG 414, or even the lower end Neumann TLM mics, but those in the $1000 range, so.....

Really though, if you're looking for vocals, acoustic guitar , piano, and other softer instruments that really want a lot of clarity and breath, dynamics just aren't going to cut it  They’re just gonna sound like a mild variation of the SM57.

<Hijack>

Anyone out there use the Blue snowball mic with garageband on a mac?  I'm looking for a simple songwriter setup and I don't want to go down that home studio road (again).

<\Hijack>

My budget is pretty low, I can't be spending more than $200 for a single mic, since I am looking to pick up a few different ones.

Those Perception models you mention Tim sound pretty nice for my uses. One problem I am going to run into though is that my Tascam doesn't have phantom power, and I don't know how to remedy that - I am new to this, all my recording has been with USB condensers previously.

Also, I know I'm not going for pro quality. I mean, I am using a 4 track tape recorder. I want good audio, not perfect audio.

Also Also: can anyone identify this mic?

l_9c96e53bb39a435983006b6db475203e.jpg

I have an MXL V67G, which is a large-diaphram condensor mic.  It is a really nice sounding mic for vocals and acoustic instruments, and at about $120 (probably less on ebay), it won't break the bank.

I actually had a chance to A/B this mic with a $2200 Neumann U87.   The main differences I found was that the U87 had a lot more gain, and the proximity effect (the bass boost you get when singing close to the mic) was more pronounced.

However, the clarity and high-end response was actually very similar.

Its a great mic for home recording.

BTW ... for phantom power, both ART and Rolls make phantom power supplies for about $50-60.  I think the ART is a 4 channel one, so you can power 4 mics at once.

MXL is an okay junky  mike..cheapo mikes have come along way.
You arent gonna get Neumann quality for 69.00.
Better  ta spend a few hundred on a good mic- pre  i guess.

jerryjg said:

You are probably right... but I just can't afford that. I need three mics, and I can't drop that much dough. And honestly I am not sure if my recording uses really require Neumann quality. I don't mind if our recordings sound like they were done at me because - hey! they ARE done at home, in the middle of our living room!

You could have a Telefunken U47 into that Tascam and it would still sound like a Tascam. Can't polish a turd. :) MXLs are cheapos, ADK is actually a low priced mic that sounds pretty good. They make a large diaphragm condenser with a pad and I believe pickup patterns too.

jerryjg said:

You're absolutely right.  However, my comparision was that the top-end response and clarity were "similar".  I was also using a very low noise Amek mic pre in this test.  And for things like vocals, acoustic gutiar, strings, etc, ANY condensor is going to sound better than an SM57.

There are dozens of factors that will affect the quality of the recording, not the least of which is the microphone.  There is no way a home recording is ever gonna sound like it came out of an SSL studio, unless you've got an SSL at home!

My take on the MXL mics is that, for the price, they are a versitile mic that can be put in front of just about anything, and pick up the sound (somewhat) honestly.  That, after all is what the essence of recording is about.

So how does this sound as a basic purchasing plan: I have a small diaphragm dynamic mic (SM57). Maybe I should buy a large diaphragm dynamic, small diaphragm condenser, and large diaphragm condenser. This will give me four mics, and I think a fair amount of diversity / versatility.

What do you guys think about that? Mostly I am unsure about whether I should bother with a large diaphragm dynamic mic like the Beta 58a, or just get two large diaphragm condensers. Thoughts?

I'd say not to bother with the Beta 58a.  Rather than buying two large diaphragm condensers, I would strongly suggest that that you buy a matched pair of small diaphragm condensers. These are a huge asset in a home studio, as they allow you to make stereo recordings of many instruments.  I have a cheap pair of Nadys that sound surprisingly good.  The MXL 990 is a great mic for the price as well.  And Andy and Jerry are correct in saying that a good preamp is very important.

I can send you a recording I did using the MXL 990 on vocals and a Nady CM88 on acoustic guitar if you are interested in hearing how they sound.

l5project said:
I'd say not to bother with the Beta 58a.  Rather than buying two large diaphragm condensers, I would strongly suggest that that you buy a matched pair of small diaphragm condensers. These are a huge asset in a home studio, as they allow you to make stereo recordings of many instruments.  I have a cheap pair of Nadys that sound surprisingly good.  The MXL 990 is a great mic for the price as well.  And Andy and Jerry are correct in saying that a good preamp is very important.

I can send you a recording I did using the MXL 990 on vocals and a Nady CM88 on acoustic guitar if you are interested in hearing how they sound.

I am not sure how often I would be making stereo recordings, my main need for more mics is I want to be able to record my little band live all at once, which would usually mean two mics doing vocal duty and two mics on instruments, like piano and banjo or whatever.

As for your recording, I would love to hear it. Tfarny sent me a great recording using the Beta 58a and AKG perception microphones - it's a nice luxury to hear before I buy.

nathana said:

Important stuff:
- I like simple.
- I also like cheap.

-acoustic guitars
-banjo

I was gonna recommend and sm-57 until I read your post...so never mind on that one.

Back