metallic primer problems.

smavridis

so i stripped the wood of (most) its blue finish. underneath is some crappy metallic primer. its not coming off with jasco stripper, only my heatgun and i dont want to use the heatgun that much. so how do i get rid of it.

Metallic primer?  I'm not sure exactly what you are describing.  Do you mean something that was intended for use on metal, or that it has a metallic appearance?

Any chance you could post some pics?

its the primer they put under the metallic colors
Nikospics.jpg

Thanks Keyser Soze,

That lack of info held me back from posting earlier.

Seeing the picture, looks like you are making some progress.
Is it a Fender?

On the right it looks like bare wood.....lightly toasted?

Looks like you could start scraping it off, but I think it's going to come down to elbow grease.

Or, yea, call it a relic and put it on e-bay for $600.00.
:)

James

Watershed said:
Thanks Keyser Soze,

That lack of info held me back from posting earlier.

Seeing the picture, looks like you are making some progress.
Is it a Fender?

On the right it looks like bare wood.....lightly toasted?

Looks like you could start scraping it off, but I think it's going to come down to elbow grease.

Or, yea, call it a relic and put it on e-bay for $600.00.
:)

James

lightly toasted lol. ya its a fender. well, a squire. belt sander here we come! no other way to get rid of it?

smavridis said:
lightly toasted lol. ya its a fender. well, a squire. belt sander here we come! no other way to get rid of it?

NO! but you could always open a new topic and see if the answer changes!

I want to say you are dealing with Fullerplast, but was of the impression that it's somewhat clear.
The consensus seems to be (for Fullerplast) that heat is the best way to get it to crack, then you can get under it and scrape it off.
I do see sanding in your future also.

Good luck,
James

Heat gun and scraper.

Round off the corners of your scraper with a file or stone then use some 220 sandpaper to round off the edges of the scraper.  You want the blade to have the contours of a butter knife.  That way as you slip the blade under the heated edge of the stuff you won't be putting deep scratches into the wood.

Keyser Soze said:
Heat gun and scraper.

Round off the corners of your scraper with a file or stone then use some 220 sandpaper to round off the edges of the scraper.  You want the blade to have the contours of a butter knife.  That way as you slip the blade under the heated edge of the stuff you won't be putting deep scratches into the wood.

thanks man

Back